Friday, June 11, 2010

Musicals, Day 5: Day by Day

Godspell.

One of my favorites.

Grew up listening to the music on a cassette tape in the car. I've seen it live lots of times and even though I still don't really get it (it's about Jesus and stuff, right?) I love the music.

My sister would play the songs for me on the piano and I would sing off key and out of tune. The best way I know how. I probably got waaaayyy to into it, but luckily no one who cared was around.

This musical is a family favorite. When asked what his favorite musical is, my dad actually said, "um...Godspell?" If he has a musical fav, then you know it has to be good.

I've seen it live several times. Always powerful and never disappointing. My sister and I years ago saw it in Washington DC. We were on a family trip, saw a play bill and made arrangements to attend. We went to a matinee with a bunch of elementary school kids who had been learning the songs in school. At intermission in the musical, they pass out wine to the audience. That scared me (still does). Luckily when we were there with all the little kids, it was grape juice.

Enjoy some of our fav's (these are from the 1973 movie. Not the best way to see them performed).

Day by Day


Prepare ye the way of the Lord


All for the best

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails