Monday, August 22, 2011

Borrowing the idea

First, I love Pinterest.  If you don't have a pinterest account, sign-up for one.  It is the most lovely, refreshing way to get lost on the internet.  It is full of pretty and powerful and crafty and clever.  I have yet to find anything icky on Pinterest.

Second, I created my pinterest account when we moved into the new house.  This house was (and is) a blank slate with more wall space than I know what to do with.  I've spent most of my summer, when I get a few minutes to browse online when the boys are commatose in front of Phinneus and Ferb, looking at beautiful things I can do to decorate my home.

The problem with a site like pinterest is that a lot of what I see and think is lovely isn't something I have the time, know how, money or tools to do.  That however hasn't stopped me and I've taken matters into my own hands for a couple of projects.

A few weeks ago I found on pinterest a beautiful piece of art.  It was a blank canvas, with a quote on it in raised wooden letters, all painted white.  I followed the pins through the links and found that it was a custom art shop in the UK that would make such art for you for about $250 dollars.  I don't have that kind of money, but I have a hobby lobby close by so the boys and I ventured out.

I bought some blank canvas' (they were 2 in a pack for five bucks), and some wooden letters and set out to create my project.  I knew that this project would go in my room, that I wanted some song lyrics to be my text and I wanted it moderately mushy.  I settled on a section of the chorus to a Death Cab for Cutie song, "I will follow you into the dark."  This is one of my favorite songs, and back when I was pregnant with Wyatt and a hormonal mess, it brought me to tears driving in my car on several ocassions when I'd hear it on the radio.

Enough said.  My text took three canvas' and I had one left over.  I also had some gold metallic craft paint left over from painting treasure boxes the week before so I settled on a really bad ombre effect on the final canvas to even out the installation.  (I call it that, like it's real art, not a craft project in my garage.)

Anyway, the final product was hung today and I must say that I think it looks really great up on my wall.

Here's to decorating the blank slate house (and to my continuing love affair with pinterest.)

IMG_3299

Stage One: Glue wooden letters onto canvas.
Stage Two: Spray paint each canvas/letter combination white.
Stage Three: Let dry, paint fourth canvas gold.
Stage Four: Hang on wall.
Stage Five: Admire handiwork.

IMGP1376 

IMGP1374

10 comments:

Melanie said...

Looks great! (From a fellow pinterest addict). The only thing I've managed to actually make is a few recipes).

Jodi said...

Two things:
1. I am new to pinterest. My account is maybe three days old...the hours I have spent are countless.(I am positive my work will block the site soon on my account.)

2. When I finally got to my last minute wedding playlist (the night before I was married) that was the first song I added!

Okay three things...

3. It looks amazing!

Clearly Melanie and I check our google reader too often! (Is that a fourth thing?)

Katy said...

I love how it turned out!

Codi said...

This looks pretty - nice work! Now I have to find you on pinterest.

Bing Math said...

You are way too crafty. I love the golden 4th canvas. I never would have thought of that and I think it really finishes your masterpiece.

Now back to my boringness.

S said...

What a beautiful and lovely idea! I mentioned it in my blog here:
http://surfiles.blogspot.com/2012/01/to-being-happy-and-appreciative.html

Thank you for sharing it!

The Purds said...

Beautiful...and if I knew how to pin I'd add it to my pinterest board!

Rona said...

I don't know that song but those lyrics sound powerful! Great job.

Andrea at Our Little Gems said...

this is gorgeous! it's inspired me to take my favorite song lyric and make my own installation.

liz said...

LOVE that song! great post!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails