Wednesday, January 14, 2015

If I just stop thinking about it...



Starting clear back in October, I didn't feel well.  My stomach was upset, I had a hard time standing up straight.  I assumed it was just the run of the mill cold or maybe the flu or something, and it was bearable so I just went about my regular day.

After a couple of weeks, I got worse.  I felt like I was going to puke, about 70% of my day, still couldn't stand up straight, my body ached and I was miserable.  And I was coughing.  I had a mild cough.

It got bad enough that I did two things.  First, I actually took a pregnancy test, just to make sure (negative thank heavens!) and Second, I went to Instacare.  I explained my vague symptoms to the nurse and the doctor, they did a bunch of blood work, made me drink a medicine that numbed my throat and thought maybe I had a bacterial ulcer.
 
All my blood work came back negative for any problems (including the ulcer) and I was given a medication for an overly acidic stomach.  The medication, for whatever reason, after about 3 days made my cough worse.  A gut wrenching, gaging, send me running to the bathroom because I was dry heave coughing, cough.  I was absolutely miserable.

So miserable that I did something I NEVER do.  I made (well, Ross made for me) an appointment to go to a real doctor.  At this point, I'd been sick for the better part of a month with good days and bad days, and a ridiculous cough keeping me up at night all along the way.

I told my doctor everything that was wrong with me.  He did more blood work and thought that I had a problem with my gallbladder.  I had an ultrasound, that showed no stones or problems, got a new and different medication for stomach acid, and came home.  I was told to give the medication two weeks and if I didn't feel better, to come back.

Two weeks later, I was back in the office.  The doctor still thought it was my gallbladder.  I still was coughing and feeling super sick all the time.  I scheduled a test called a HIDA scan, and had it done the day after Christmas.  I had to fast for 6 hours and couldn't take any of my medications to prepare for the test, which was basically a CAT scan of my stomach, gallbladder and intestines.  On the morning of the test I got an IV, was injected with radioactive chemicals and sat in a chair for 45 minutes before I spent an hour holding the most still I've ever held in my life while another chemical was injected into me and I watched it crawl through my body for an hour.

The night before the exam, was probably the worst night I've had in a very long time.  I was so sick to my stomach, gagging and dry heaving all night long and thought my body was going to implode.  The test wasn't hard, but I was so miserable already that by the time I was finished, and after not eating for about 13 hours, I spent the day moaning and whining and pouting.  Typical for me, actually.

The technician told me what to look for, and there is nothing wrong with my gallbladder, even though I technically haven't heard from my doctor yet (test was three weeks ago) and I'm so disinterested in calling to hunt down my results, I'll just leave it as it is.  For now.

The only problem is: the cough that had almost disappeared right after Christmas is back this week with a vengeance.  My voice sounds funny I've coughed so much.  I cannot lay down to go to sleep, but have to be propped up on four pillows.  My stomach doesn't hurt as it has been, but I'm on medication.

My mom thinks I have a herniated esophagus problem.  My husband thinks I have an ulcer.  I think doctors are stupid and don't listen to me.

I've been trying this week not to think about the fact that I don't feel well.  That seems, for some karmically mean reason, to make the cough worse.

It would be nice, if someone could help figure out what is wrong with me.  Unfortunately, no one seems interested.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails