Tuesday, May 31, 2016

An update :: Quinner

Somedays, this boy demands all the attention, and all the blue glitter and sparkle crayons and slushies from sonic.  It's usually when coloring dinosaurs is the very last thing I want or need to do during the day.  But then when I actually sit down with h

Lately, this boy lives in a land that dissappeared 65 million years ago.  To say he is in a dinosaur "phase" is a gross understatement.  Take yesterday morning, for example (Side note:  it wasn't really yesterday, it was last week.  It's taken me a while to finish this post.)  After we took the boys to school we watched his BBC documentary kids show about dinosaurs.  When that was finished, we "read" dinosaur books in silence.  He doesn't need me to read him the names because, he's a dinosaur and he knows all the names.  After that, I convinced him to get dressed, in his new glow in the dark Indominous Rex dinosaur t-shirt from target.  Then, as we do a lot of mornings, we watched dinosaur videos on YouTube before it was time to go to school.

Then, there is all the coloring, of dinosaurs.  Painting, of dinosaurs.  Reading of dinosaur books, and the fact that on most days, he only speaks Raptor to me and asks to be called "Blue" (his favorite dino from Jurassic World) instead of Quinn.

This kid, he's a great boy.  He's a little strange, talks like a 10 year old, and is a pretty content kid.  He loves his Uncle Willie, calls his brothers, "The boys" or "The Brothers", loves to talk about zombies and animals, and wookies, in addition to dinosaurs.  Yesterday, Willie took the boys in his car on the Huber family cemetery trek for Momerial Day and Quinn came home so excited that he got to go on a road trip with Uncle Willie.

Last week, he finished preschool.  The Mini-3 program that he participated in from January - May was so good for him.  He was painfully shy before school, and still had moments of being ridiculously shy and nervous when I dropped him off on most days, but I was so proud of him that he did it.  And, more importantly, that he loved school.

When he finished last week, I asked him what we were going to do now that school was out for the summer.  He replied, "I guess I should take swimming lessons."  I guess he's right.  I mean, if he can tackle school on his own for 4.5 hours a week, he can surely sit on the edge of a swimming pool and kick and blow bubbles, right?

This kid and I have some long days every once in a while, like today, where we lay on the floor in the office taking selfies and wondering what to do.  But, for the most part, we fill our days with activities and conversations that I wouldn't trade for anything and I feel pretty lucky that I get to have him as my side kick.  He likes to pull weeds, tells me when it's a beautiful day, and willingly washes his hands.  What more could I ask for.


Concentration.  10 minutes later they were drawing on each other and yelling, but this single solitary moment was good.

This boy got to make the schedule for the day.  In order : Target ✔ Play with toys ✔ Make chocolate chip cookies ✔ Watch jurassic world ✔

I think they are taking selfies.  I'm spying from inside...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails