Friday, April 14, 2006

My new "Saving Private Ryan"

Years ago, when the World War II epic was released, Haley and I saw it in theaters....twice. It was that one "must see" movie with an R rating. The rule I enforced on myself at that time was "war movies are okay". Now, I'll admit that I am a pretty good Mormon. I pay my tithing, go to church every Sunday whether I want to or not, and live a good moral, upstanding life. This being said, for months now, I've been sucked into the hype surrounding Brokeback Mountain. Yes, I know what it is about and yes, I knew what I was getting myself into...potentially. This being said, I read the short story months ago, watch all the brokeback themed parodies on the Ifilm website, watched the end of the Academy Awards to see if it won best picture, talked with the girls in my book club about it, and have been patiently waiting for it to come out on DVD so that Ross could netflix it for me.
Well, it came in the mail via Netflix on Tuesday and I've now watched it twice. All I have to say is this: I loved the movie. It is one of the sweetest, saddest love stories I have ever seen. It feels like an honest and true interpretation about situations beyond control and an inablility of people, I guess, to let love conquer all...like most movies tell us it should. Yes, there was some "questionable", I suppose, socially unacceptable material and no, it was not graphic or disgusting. Watching it the second time was better than the first, and now, I'm dying for someone to talk to about it.....so many thoughts and questions I have about the story compared to the movie, and the interpretation of both.
I've been debating whether or not to even blog that I saw it, but, lightening has yet to strike me down and I've watched it twice in one week. Sometimes, there are movies you convince yourself for whatever reason that you just have to see and I think this was one of those for me.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails