Tuesday, January 14, 2014

#HandmadeChristmas :: 2013

At the end of the month of July, I bought a sewing machine.  I didn't do a whole lot of research, but I found a pretty awesome deal on amazon, asked Ross if it was okay to make such a big, spur of the moment purchase, and went for it.

I bought the machine because I wanted to make stuff.

Mostly, because I wanted to make my kids this:



Pillows for their lost teeth.  Then, a few pillows, aprons, table runners, skirts and and a manatee later, I got the brilliant idea to make, with my sewing machine, the majority of my Christmas gifts for the holiday season.  So, I came up with a plan and a schedule.  A list of items I wanted to make and set to making them.  After, of course, asking my sewing friends and YouTube lots of questions.

In the end, it took me nearly all of four months to finish my projects.  And, I finished a lot.
The tally:
10 pillows
9 quilts
1 table runner
12 aprons
5 dish towels
4 tote bags
6 make-up clutches
7 drawstring bags (as gifts mostly for birthday parties for little friends)
a couple zippered pouches
a knee length skirt for myself.

That was a lot of sewing - especially considering about 70% of it happened at night, after the kids had gone to bed and I had some time alone.

Late nights.

In the end though, I have a new hobby which I am slightly addicted to and I was able to give a lot of people some gifts which, I hope, they really liked and can put to good use.


1 comment:

Bing Math said...

We liked our homemade gifts. James' mom thought the quilts were cute and was even impressed with your "blind stitching."

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails