Monday, July 28, 2014

First Day of School! First Day of School!




First day of second grade.  Last night he couldn't sleep and needed to lay in bed with me and have me rub his back and whisper Stuart Smalley  affirmations to him.  It made my night.  This morning, when every single kid seemingly had  parents walking them


Today was the first day of second grade.  Last night he couldn't sleep and needed to lay in bed with me and have me rub his back and whisper Stuart Smalley affirmations to him.  It made my night.  This morning, when every single kid seemingly had  parents walking them to their classes, he just wanted to be dropped off and do it all by himself.  I asked him if he was sure and he said yes, that he could figure it out.  I was proud, but it broke my heart a little.  He and I have been in a tug of war for months - he needs me, he wants nothing to do with me.  The first day of second grade was a perfect example of that.  This kid is growing up, and I am now on standby.  Hoping maybe, just maybe, I can get a hug every once in a while.  Or maybe we can go for a drive and get a diet coke and a slurpee.

When we got in the car this morning to head to school I said to him, "So, are you excited?  Or, are you nervous?"

He looked at me, grinning from ear to ear and said, "Well, actually, I'm both!"

Me too, kid.  Me too.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails