Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Corporate America is great

I had a Dilbert moment today.

I came into work and had 4 emails from this guy that we call Larry or Woody eventhough his name is Lawrence. He works in NYC and is a nuisance.

He decided to email me, my boss, his VP, and 2 other guys that work in my department asking for some data that I usually provide him (for August and September).

One of my co-workers gave him the data and said, "Lawrence, you should really direct your question to Ross."

I researched his question and discovered that I have already sent him all of the data that he requested.

I was just a hot about having my work ethic impugned by Larry.

Here is my reply. It got me in trouble.

Lawrence -
Quite frankly I am growing tired of the shotgun approach that you have adopted.
Asking the same question to every member of the SLC finance group is a practice that I consider to be less effective, especially in light of the fact that I have already sent you this information.
I sent you the August Cards In Force / Oustandings on 9/13/06 at 9:24 AM.
I sent you the September Cards in Force / Outstandings on 10/06/06 at 9:50 AM.
I think that Mike Bearden would appreciate less emails about issues that do not correspond to him.
Let me know if you have other questions.


My boss apparently got a call from Larry's VP to ask why I was so harsh.

We had to move up our regularly scheduled one-on-one to discuss the issue. I explained that I do not hold grudges or have an issue with Larry, but that I could not stand idly by as he makes me look bad. Jerre (my boss) understood, but recommended the 'write the email and save it for 24 hours' technique for next time.

There probably won't be a next time - I get the impression that I have become the Jules from Pulp Fiction of American Express Travellers Cheques and Prepaid Services. People are afraid of me now....

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails