Saturday, June 01, 2013

Waxing Philosopical....in the car


Driving home the other day, we had a deep conversation.  It went something like this.

Wyatt:  Mom, can we add riding the Trax train to our list of summer things to do.
Mom:  Yeah, that's a great idea.  Where do you want to ride the train to?
Wyatt:  Maybe to the children's museum?
Elliott:  Or maybe we could just go for a ride?

Mom: Yeah, that sounds like a good idea.  I guess we have to decide which is more important, the destination or the journey.
****
Elliott looks at me like I'm speaking a foreign language and Wyatt looks out the window.
*****
Mom:  Elliott do you know what I'm talking about?  What is a destination?
Elliott:  It's the place your going to.
Mom:  Okay, Wyatt, what is a journey? (Silent stares out the window)
Elliott:  It's the time it takes you to get to your destination.

Mom:  Very good, Elliott.  So,  then what does it mean when I said we have to decide which is more important, the destination or the journey?

Elliott:  It means we have to decide if it's more fun to ride the Trax train to a place, or if we want to ride it just for fun!

Mom:  Excellent my boy!  Very good.  So, do you want the destination or the journey?

Wyatt:  I want the journey!
Elliott:  I think I want the destination!

******

A funny little conversation with my boys and me.  I think that it's pretty telling that Wyatt picked the journey, and Elliott the destination.  And, you have to admit that it's pretty cool my kid figured the whole thing out....he's a pretty smart little fart.  And #2, I was shocked that Wyatt was even really listening....talk about wanting the journey.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails