Monday, June 25, 2007

"The 100 Simple Secrets of Happy People"

There is a book sitting on my bookshelf with that title (written by David Niven, Ph.D. if you want to pick it up). As I sit at my computer every day, I see the spine, think about the book and then keep on working.

This afternoon, I took it off the shelf. Maybe because I am grouchy and ornery and feel like I am suffocating in my own life. Maybe because my best good friend of the time gave it to me and I felt like reading what she wrote in it. Maybe, because I feel like on the surface, everything is okay, but on the inside I'm a wreck? Hopefully, I'm not the only person who feels that way. I know my house feels that way, probably my carpets, car, and hot flowers in the front yard. If they could talk they would definitely curse me out for not being a very good house keeper, carpet vacuumer, car owner and gardener.

I really took this book of the shelf to read the list and evaluate my "happiness" here it goes:
  1. your life has purpose and meaning (um, okay, I'll try to remember that)
  2. use a strategy for happiness
  3. you don't have to win every time (I'm good at this one. I know I don't have to win, and I'm not too competitive. Score one for me!)
  4. your goals should be aligned with one another
  5. choose your comparisons wisely
  6. cultivate friendships (I try. Thank you book club girls for talking to me!)
  7. turn off the TV (piece of cake! The TV is hardly ever on.)
  8. accept yourself-unconditionally (let's pretend, for now, this one isn't on the list. A bit of a challenge at the moment)
  9. remember where you came from
  10. limit yourself to thinking about one subject as you lie down to sleep (I am definitely willing to work on this one.)
  11. friendship beats money
  12. have realistic expectations
  13. be open to new ideas
  14. share with others how important they are to you (not so good at this. Family, I love you all!)
  15. if you're not sure, guess positively
  16. believe in yourself (let's group this one with #8. I know I can cook dinner and take care of the baby, but other than that...let's not think about this for now)
  17. don't believe in yourself too much (okay!)
  18. don't face your problems alone
  19. age is not to be feared (Great! I don't fear age at all. I think getting older is pretty cool, actually. Except my knees hurt.)
  20. develop a household routine (I need help with this one. How does trying to do everything everyday count as a household routine)
  21. don't be overprotective (but, I'm the mama bear!)
  22. pay attention. you may have what you want (yeah, I pretty much do!)
  23. don't let your religious beliefs fade
  24. do what you say you are going to do (I do)
  25. don't be aggressive with you friends and family
  26. root for the home team (Go Utes! Go Wolverines!)
  27. don't confuse stuff with success (I've pretty much got this one figured out. Thank you mom for teaching me this important lesson)
  28. every relationship is different
  29. don't think "what if"
  30. volunteer (I need to do more of this)
  31. if you can't reach your goals, your goals will hurt you
  32. exercise (huh? Oh yeah, getting outside every once in a while probably isn't a bad idea!)
  33. little things have big meanings
  34. it's not what happened, it's how you think about what happened
  35. develop some common interests with loved ones (I don't want to play fantasy baseball)
  36. laugh
  37. don't let your entire life hinge on one element
  38. share of yourself
  39. busy is better than bored (once again, thanks mom! The "B" word isn't part of my vocabulary and it won't be part of the little monkey's either)
  40. satisfaction is relative
  41. learn to use a computer (Score! I can do this pretty well)
  42. try to think less about the people and things that bother you (easier said than done. I think that's where this whole blog post is coming from to begin with)
  43. keep your family close
  44. eat some fruit every day
  45. enjoy what you have
  46. think in concrete terms
  47. be socially supportive
  48. don't blame yourself
  49. be a peacemaker
  50. cherish animals
  51. make your work a calling
  52. never trade your morals for you goals
  53. don't pretend to ignore things your loved ones do that bother you
  54. get a good nights sleep
  55. buy what you like
  56. accomplish something every day (define "something")
  57. be flexible
  58. events are temporary
  59. be your own fan
  60. join a group
  61. be positive
  62. there will be an end, but you can be prepared
  63. how we see the world is more important than how the world is
  64. keep a pen and paper handy (I learned this from watching "blues clues" I always have my handy dandy notebook around!)
  65. help the next person who needs some minor assistance
  66. take care not to harshly criticize family and friends
  67. some people like the big picture and others like the details
  68. do things you are good at
  69. go visit your neighbor (I talked to one of my neighbors just last night. She gave me some crystal light)
  70. smile
  71. don't accept televisions picture of the world
  72. you always have a choice
  73. be agreeable
  74. don't ignore one part of your life
  75. listen to music (every day, all day long. My world is on "shuffle")
  76. let your goals guide you
  77. use your job positively
  78. don't forget to have fun
  79. believe in ultimate justice
  80. reminisce
  81. be conscientious
  82. don't dwell on un-winnable conflicts
  83. enjoy the ordinary
  84. focus not on the world's tragedies, but on the world's hope
  85. get a hobby
  86. envying other people's relationships is pointless
  87. give yourself time to adapt to change (this might be at the root of all my issues. How much time does it take to adjust from being "career driven" to "the mama"?)
  88. focus on what really matters to you
  89. realize that complete satisfaction does not exist
  90. surround yourself with pleasant aromas
  91. don't let others set your goals
  92. you are a person, not a stereotype
  93. know what makes you happy and sad
  94. keep reading
  95. we must feel needed
  96. say "so what"
  97. have a purpose
  98. you have not finished the best part of your life
  99. money does not buy happiness
  100. what does it all mean? you decide.

Maybe I'm not doing so bad after all.
How about the rest of you out there? How does this list work for you?

3 comments:

Bing Math said...

That's a cool list. There are definitely some things on it for me to work on.

Anonymous said...

Life is good!
Mammcita

Unknown said...

i find the title "100 simple secrets of happy people"....ok if it was really that simple, there wouldn't be 100 of them.

that's my thought.

and no you are not alone. i find that trying to do everything everyday is completely maddening and makes me feel like the biggest failure on the planet. how do you choose between reading to your little kids or folding the laundry??? come on.....it's just a joke to try to do everything everyday all the time and not go insane....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails