Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Biting the bullet, part deux

As my mom said when I called her last night to tell her we bought a new car, "Oh, you've made your second major purchase as a married couple...how special."

Yup, we did it! We bought the car. And, not a moment to soon as Ross car is in the shop, waiting to get the transmission flushed. We were on the verge of desperation last night, pulling up to the dealership and luckily, things worked out.

It's kind of a funny thing buying a car past the monkey's bedtime on a Tuesday night. The process was a little slow, Elliott was very good (no puking or pooping as he had done the previous night) and I was very glad that I had a baby to distract me from the haggling over prices, interest rates, and discounts. Elliott and I wandered around the dealership while Ross had it out with the VW finance guy. At one point when we wandered back into the room both Ross and the guy were red faced, flushed, and a little sweaty. Ross was sweaty with excitement at being a smart consumer, knowing how to play the game and the guy, well, let's just say he got more than he bargained for trying to do the typical sales tactics with Ross.

In the end, we got an interest rate, sales price, and monthly payment we were comfortable with. And, a full tank of gas on the way home courtesy of VW. I'm not sure if they were quite as pleased as us, but they sold a car so all ends well.

I got to drive it home last night, but Ross drove it to work today. I hope he called the insurance company as promised. I hope I get to drive it again...it's a pretty sweet ride.

As we got home last night and I was a little sad. My wonderful little Golf didn't get her sweet spot in the garage last night. She had to face the bitter fall evening alone, outside, because her big sister took over her spot...at least until we get the garage cleaned out tonight for both girls. Cars are always girls, right? I am one of those dumb people who gets a little sentimental about cars, houses, books, all that inanimate stuff and last night, I almost got a tear in my eye because my trusty little car has been replaced.

We are now a two Volkswagen family. I'm not sure what that says about us, but it probably says something.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Congrats! We're hoping my old little subaru hangs on another year or so, until Justin's is paid off. And, if I have any say in it, I think we'll replace our subaru with... another subaru! Gotta love that 4 wheel drive!

Anonymous said...

I'm on my 2nd Honda (even though the first one wasn't technically mine). I'd go with another one of them except that I think new Honda's are kind of ugly. Hmmmmm. - Haley

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails