Thursday, September 20, 2007

"Almost as good as Disneyland"

Haley and I decided last night that we've seen Guster perform live at least 8 times. I think we've been fans for almost 10 years or so. We love Guster. This band, for me (and probably Haley) is one of the greatest bands ever and they put on such a great live show. Last night we saw Guster and it wasn't any ordinary concert. It was special for two reasons. One, they played extra long because they were supposed to play in SLC in March and canceled their show last minute. Two, we took Sir William with us last night. This was his first real concert ever! And, it was at a club! And, it totally rocked!

To start the evening, we ate dinner at CPK, one of Sir William's favorite places to eat pepperoni pizza. I got pasta and should have taken some insulin because it sent my blood sugar through the roof (almost 6 hours after dinner and a rocking concert, my blood sugar was 198. That's high). After dinner, we were ready to walk down the street, past the homeless shelter, to the concert. It was at The Venue...our favorite "venue" to see concerts.
before the show

When we got to the club, Opening Act #1 was playing. He was alone w/ his guitar and a little folksy. I can't remember his name but his sound was nice and calming. A little on the boring side which means that when I borrow the CD from James, I'll like it. In between Opening Act #1 and #2, Willie was a little nervous. "Will there be moshing?" he asked me. "No, that's not what this crowd does", I replied. To ease his nerves, we took pictures and he bought a Gutser t-shirt.

a little nervous

Opening Act #2 was a band called "Tally Hall". They were quite amusing, all wearing white shirts and ties. Their songs felt like a cross between the bands "they might be giants" and "the aquabats" with a little electric barber shop quartet thrown in for good measure. They had wonderful harmonies, used a megaphone, and sang a song about a banana. What could be better? Haley bought this CD so I'm sure I'll borrow it from her. Willie liked them so much that after their set, he got one of their t-shirts. 2 t-shirts in one night. That's a concert record.

When Guster finally came out, we moved a bit closer to give Willie a more real concert experience with the usual groups of people: The happy Mormon boys who jump, the fat girl w/ skinny boyfriend who dances like a mad woman, they guy who wants everyone to have as good a time as him, and the couple that kisses, oh, the entire concert.

Because Guster owed us from their canceled show, they played an extra long set and three encores including a song for thier roady boys Scooter and Josh. Not only that, we received an extra special treat, that doesn't happen very often...the Thunder God himself serenaded us with the theme song to cheers. It was great.

As the show grew to a close, I was a little disappointed because the boys hadn't sung one of my favorite songs. But, they must have known I wanted to hear it and brought my goofy little camera that makes movies just in case they decided to sing it. As their final song for the evening, completely unplugged, they sang "Jesus on the Radio." It was a perfect ending to a great night.

haley's feet

We got Willie home way past his bedtime and hopefully he figured out when to shower so he could be clean. Today, I'm dragging. Less than 6 hours of sleep at night and being greeted super early by a baby alarm clock can cause a girl to have a very slow day. It was well worth it though. I've always enjoyed going to concerts with my sister and it was a lot of fun to be able to add "The Boy" to the mix.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very Touching (sniff sniff) annie almost as coll as disneyland but5 maybe not quite but stiil really really really really Fun and awesome

Your favorite favorite FAVORITE litle brother who loves you and your baby

Willie =)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails