Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Sometimes, you've got to bite the bullet



It's already been mentioned on the blog that Ross' car is sick. He's still driving it every day, but it's inevitable that we've got to move on. This past Saturday, we went car sitting after Willie's football game. We had 5 cars in mind and were determined to sit in each to allow a natural process of elimination to occur. That process occurred rather quickly as we didn't fit in a whole lot of the mid-size SUV's we were looking at. However, we did fit in one, the VW Toureg.
Not only was the VW dealership easy going with clean, respectable salespeople, but as we were there looking around, it just so happened that Tyler, the kid helping us, knew that they had just gotten a Toureg on a trade-in that was in pretty good shape. We talked to the GM, got some details about the car and promised to come back on Monday for a test drive.

We did the test drive last night. We like the car. We'll probably buy the car, maybe even today, unless something dramatic happens.

Here's the thing...buying a car is such a sucky experience. Dealing with salespeople, price haggling, the cliche' phrases, the taxes and fees and credit checks. It's all a little much for me. As the "no-pressure" sales pitch was getting thrown at us last night, we got the standard, "what do I have to do to get you in the car tonight?" line. Well, Tyler, there isn't anything you can do to get us to buy a new (used) car at 8:15 pm. Sorry, it's not going to happen. When I bought my VW 7 years ago, I just walked onto the lot, gave the guy the vin number, and within a few hours, my dad and I drove my new car home. This process is a little bit slower because Ross is so, "thorough", but I just wish it wasn't so painful.

However, I guess the flip side of the whole car buying process is that the car we are currently driving could die on us at any moment...or blow up or something terrible like that.

I am just ready to have a car I feel safe in. I just don't want all the hassle.

1 comment:

Harried Mom said...

Brian was telling me last night that Consumer Reports (I believe that was the ranking he just read about) reported that your Toureg was voted one of the least likely to make it past 100,000 miles, if you go for lasting cars as we do you may want to read the article. I'll see if I can find it online for you.

Tiff

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails