Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The passing of a great man

Sometimes, we're lucky enough to find good examples. People who truly inspire us to do better, be better, and live better. Example is an amazing thing and President Hinkley was one of the best around. I always loved to hear President Hinkley speak. Not only because of the gospel he so proudly taught, but because of his words. He quoted classics, told wonderful stories, advocated education and acceptance of all. He spoke to the power of women - mothers, daughters, sisters, wives....helping us all to strive to be the best we can be, to be educated and strong.

Like many of the posts I've read the last few days, I echo the sentiments that President Hinkley was my prophet. I grew up with him as the leader of my faith more than any other. I was lucky enough to have spent many evenings in the conference center to hear him speak, as recently as a few months ago, and to be inspired by his words.

My great-grandfather, Stewart Eccles, was a strong member of the Church and spend a lot of time with apostles and prophets doing the Lord's work. He was good friends with President Hinkley, even sharing a hotel room with him once in the middle of nowhere, while doing work for the Lord. I feel like those stories from my grandpa helped me to know such an amazing man just a little bit better.

Like many others feel, the death of our beloved prophet is a sad, yet joyous time. He gets to be reunited with his dear wife and friends and family who have passed on and we are lucky enough to honor his memory, and rejoice that he was our leader for so many years.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice.
Mom

Lauren said...

Amen. I guess he was my prophet too. I can't even remember when he was called - I was only about six. Nice blog!

WakeUp~Reese~ said...

Nice Tribute! I loved this man so. A few years ago I read his biography by Sheri Dew...WOW, what an amazing life. He was truly meant to be our prophet in these days.

I have said it and have heard it said sooo much this week, it is a happy thought that he is reunited with his sweet life.

By the way, I am Teresa.... I have been in a few of your classes offered by UEN. I think I came across your blog by way of flickr or by your blogs on UEN. I don't remember, but hey.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails