Monday, February 04, 2008

Okay, here we go...

I was so excited to vote in my first presidential election. Almost giddy. Not only did I get to have a voice in who our nation's president would be, but I finally got to see what went on inside those booths and punch holes in those sweet little cards. It was heaven on earth for me. In that first election, I voted for Bill Clinton. I thought he was hip, suave, young...all the stuff many of the people of my generation thought he was. Since that first vote when I was 18 years old, I've always voted and always felt cool and important doing my civic duty.

Flash forward a few years to college. I was a political science major focusing mostly on international policy and relations, the United Nations, and all things not revolving around American government and politics. I got my United States fill by being a history minor, focusing on American History and WW II. I wouldn't say that I regularly got my "panties in a bunch" when conversations turned political, but I definitely had my opinions, knew what I was talking about and considered myself, if I had to choose a label, to be pretty "liberal".

That being said, in the years since I graduated from the University, I've mellowed. Maybe teaching high school does that to you, or I came to the realization sooner than most that politics doesn't matter a whole lot and whomever is elected to be President of the United States doesn't directly impact my life a whole lot. Regardless of the person that is our "fearless leader" my life will go on pretty much as normal. Being average middle class seems to do that to a person, right? I just learn to deal and to cope like most Americans. Maybe that's apathy or maybe that's just common sense.

I've been through a few elections now, and I can't say that I've ever been inspired of whom to vote for(except Ralph Nader - I really did believe in him for a little while), just whom to vote against. I think that's how it's going to be for me this year, too. Lesser of evils? Male vs. Female? Black vs. White? Gimmicks vs gimmicks? It's all the same. Politics these days, for me, are less about "change" and more about promises that can never be kept. It's just like when you ran for 6th grade president and promised soda pop in the drinking fountains. Like that will ever happen. The candidates are all the same, they just come in different packages, shapes, sizes and promises and skeletons. Whether it's muslim schools, drug addicted wives, cheating husbands, kids that kill puppies and try to smuggle guns onto planes or being a mormon, every candidate has a crutch.

I guess you vote for the candidate that makes the most promises FOR YOU? They all want you to believe that they stand for something, and want to make your life better and in my humble opinion, if you believe that, then you're a sucker. Every candidate, is looking out for one person - himself! Why else would you want to be president? Your endearing belief in the good in people? Your altruistic heart? Um...the power trip you get from hovering your finger over the magic red button that will end the world as we know it? Yeah, I think it's choice #3. George Washington had it right hundreds of years ago when he said that the office of President isn't one people should seek.

I don't support a candidate right now. I'm not voting in tomorrow's primary because I know that in the good ole' UT the primary is just pomp and circumstance. If the election were today, I'd probably vote for Hilary...the only reason being she's female. I don't care about her history, who she, according to my husband, has had killed or cheated out of money, or her motives. I want a female to be president and think it would be wicked cool. My mom always fills out her NCAA bracket during March Madness based off of team colors, mascots, and who the underdog is - why can't my presidential selection be the same? Maybe I'm voting for red power suits, short hair, a few choreographed tears here and there and someone who is a mom.

Above everything else, I don't think it's worth fighting over. Ross picked a fight today on Jared's blog in the comments. He got quite a rise out of a few readers - he's good at that. He's good at slinging the mud and doesn't necessarily care who he is slinging it at. It's good that Ross has opinions, even if they could potentially threaten friendships that are years in the making and I'm glad Jared has a candidate he believes in, someone he thinks is going to change the world. Let him and we'll let the flawed party conventions and even more flawed electoral college decide in November.

Until then, I'll let apathy rein and hope that somewhere along the line, there comes a candidate who doesn't need celebrities and gimmicks to win - that doesn't divide the nation, but someone who really make a difference. Here's to pipe dreams...

4 comments:

Bing Math said...

I think any candidate worth voting for is too smart and has too much integrity to run. - Haley

Anonymous said...

YOU ARE SCARING ME. YOU ARE STARTING TO THINK LIKE ME, ONLY MUCH MORE INTELLIGENTLY DAD

Harried Mom said...

Annie, you probably know where I lie politically. On another note these stupid cupcakes on your banner look so good and are driving me CRAZY, yummy!!! Tiff

japetersen said...

I have decided not to share my political views at this time. Your essay is good, however, -- only a few typos.
Mom

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails