Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Small miracles

Occasionally, my blood sugar drops. It drops really low. So low that I should probably go into a comma or pass out on the floor. The low numbers usually happen in the middle of the night. Like last night. I wake up out of a dead sleep soaking wet with sweat and know that I'm in trouble because my head is spinning and my body is shaking, ever so slightly. By the time I make it down the stairs to the kitchen and check my number - I'm in trouble. 50, 40, 30...it's all the same, really. It's all bad.

Even in the midst of the uncontrollable shaking and the dizzy, and the blurry vision and the inability to call for help, and my hands so sweaty they can barely open the fridge, I still have the clarity to do what I need to do. Check my number. Eat something, fast. Climb on the bar stool and sit very still until it passes. Crawl back up the stairs and go to bed.

This usually only ever happens in the middle of the night. Not sure why, but it does. It's a blessing I think. Otherwise, it would really scare the people watching. It scares me. But, every time it happens, I am so thankful that I survived.

2 comments:

.::still blinking::. said...

Oh my word Annie! That scares me. I hope you are doing better.

Harried Mom said...

Annie, If your exhausted and need help in the next couple of days let me know. I still have lows in the 40s sometimes in the mid-morning and can truly relate!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails