Friday, March 19, 2010

A Special Dinner


Picture trois, originally uploaded by bookemdano1978.

On St. Patrick's Day the boys and I visited my grandparents. I asked them if it would be okay if I brought dinner to them on Friday night.

My grandma informed me that it was their wedding anniversary today, March 19. They've been married for almost 60 years.

"You mean you aren't going out to a fancy restaurant to celebrate?" I asked my grandma, who is on oxygen among many other things.

"We're going to the eye doctor!" my Grandpa answered for her, "So no, we're not going to dinner!"

I decided then that it was not only the perfect night to bring them something tasty to eat, but that it was an even more perfect night to do it up a little fancy.

I snuck over to their house when they were at their doctor's appointment. I set the table up real pretty, got them some "champagne", typed up some menus and put all the food in the fridge. I then left them a note pinned to the cupboard over the sink with all their cooking instructions. It may have been a fancy dinner, but they did have to cook it themselves.

My grandma called me in tears when they got home. It had been a rough visit to the eye doctor with some bad news about her vision. Just one more thing to add to my amazing grandma's list of serious ailments. Dinner made her day.

It made me happy to know that today at least, on her wedding anniversary, there was a little bit of light at the end of the tunnel.

3 comments:

Erin @ Two More Seconds said...

That is the sweetest thing ever. I saw the pics in your Flickr stream and couldn't wait until you blogged about it!

... said...

i love it annie.

LeeAnn said...

What a sweet and thoughtful thing to do.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails