Thursday, March 25, 2010

Stealing the question from Hamlet

IMGP7495

To be or not to be....

a private blog, that is.

I'm really not sure.

Nine of you voted in my little poll.  Thank you.  The votes for "No!  do not go private!" won by a vote.

Not that the little poll was going to make my decision for me, but it was helpful thanks.

Two years ago I ranted about people who put things on the internet in private and how dumb I thought that was - my argument being why use a public forum and turn around and privatize the users and content.  I just didn't get it.

Perhaps now I've been humbled a bit.  I know a lot of people who have hit the "private" button on their blogs and I get it.  There are too many people out there, too many potential cat-fights and too many goobers.  I'm not nervous about the safety or me or my kids, but I guess that the element of the unknown is starting to eat at me a bit.

I've been told many times (thanks Mom) that I'm a decent writer.  I've even been published twice in the last few years in a magazine and a book.  I enjoy writing and really like the fact that there are people out there, even some who aren't related to me, that enjoy reading what I write.

Regardless - there is the whole private vs. public issue looming in my head.  Most of my family has told me to go private and my husband has told me to just quit all together.  I think that maybe I've found a compromise.

This little blog was started in 2005.  That was 5 years ago.  In that time, I've written nearly 1000 posts, about 926 to be exact.  I'm not 100% on the idea yet, but I think that when I hit post 1000, then the blog will be laid to rest.  It could take me the year, or it could take me a few months.

We'll see what happens, right?

5 comments:

Justin said...

I didn't vote, but I would have voted private (this is an internal struggle over here as Melanie is on the "public" side).

Bing Math said...

You can't put the blog to rest! Go private if you have to, but don'e deprive me of pictures of my nephews!!

fivewoods said...

I love reading your blog. I vote you "keep on posting"......

Jodi said...

BLOG! But you can go private...I would if I had kids. (I will miss you in my google reader.)

Teddy-n-Mai's mom said...

I will miss your blog if you do go private.

(I'm a friend of your cousin, Mel)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails