Tuesday, August 18, 2009

BUGS!

After the slip and slide

In our house, we're afraid of bugs.

Two weeks ago, the Monkey and I were going to get a "bug juice" (Ironic, yes) at the gas station because he sat on the toilet with the lid up and a bare bum (it was a big deal, worthy of a special blue drink). I got said Monkey buckled into the car, walked to my side and got in.

The boy started screaming, begging, pleading to get out of the car.

Why?

There was a gnat flying around my head.

yes.

a gnat.

I rolled down the window and ushered the minuscule flying creature outside, comforted the boy and then we were on our way.

Last week I put this same boy to bed with books and his reading light on. (funny, he reads himself to sleep, isn't it?)

I went downstairs, barely got into the kitchen and bolted back up to find out what the blood curdling scream was about.

Honestly, I thought he'd puked in bed.

Nope.

A fly flew into his room.

Egad!

This morning, we went out to get the mail.

barefoot.

barefoot is always a bit scary.

especially when there are ants.

The first question when i opened the door, "Mama, are there grasshoppers today?"

I said no, equally concerned about those icky creeping things.

We got to the mail box safely, my boys and I, and decided to hang out on the porch for a while.

That's when I saw it.

A katy-did. (no idea how to spell it, sorry).

Internal debate.

Tell the Monkey about the cool leaf bug that won't hurt him like gnats and grasshoppers or pretend it wasn't there.

You don't see katy-dids every day.

I told him.

He thought it was a leaf and didn't believe me that it was a bug.

Then it moved.

oops.

"should we go inside mama?"

panic.

tears.

big tears.

even though the leaf bug was walking away from us in it's cute little scooty gecko type walk, we bolted for the safety of the house.

the long way.

big giant steps around the front door and a leap of faith into the house.

Like I said...

in our house, we're afraid of bugs.

2 comments:

Jodi said...

I absolutely loved this post...I could just see the little terrified guy in my head while reading it!

ann michele said...

holy crap......

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails