Thursday, August 06, 2009

I heart jake ryan forever!

Sad day.

John Hughes died.

I read about it on twitter.

Then I tweeted.

Then I started thinking.

Thinking about how for me, like a lot of people, this guys movies defined a huge part of my life, and some of my most quotable lines.

Recently, I had a conversation with my mom - to paraphrase:

Me: How come you never let me watch dirty dancing when I was a kid.

Mom: Because it had adult themes.

Me: What adult themes? You let us watch 16 Candles every single day.

Mom: Dirty Dancing talked about abortion.

Me: I wasn't smart enough to know it was about abortion. 16 Candles had full frontal boobies and f-bombs!

Mom: It did?

Oh, the memories....

I DESPERATELY wanted to be Samantha Baker so I could fall in love with Jake Ryan.

Every time my mom ever gave us perms as kids, inevitably, the breakfast club was on tv somewhere....and we'd find it.

Ferris Beuhler? My mom took us to see it at the theater at Valley Fair Mall during the summer and I fell in love - with everything about the film. And that scene in the art museum where Cameron was staring at the Seurat painting and it got closer and closer and closer......

Who can forget Duckie, and that dramatic scene between Andy and Blane, "What about prom Blane, what about prom?!

And National Lampoon's Vacation? Hello - we call ourselves the Griswalds for crying out loud.

I've seen each of these movies hundreds of times. For me, they never get old, they never get any less quotable, and they never fail to amuse.

Like I said, defined my childhood, and part of my adulthood, too.

I mean, the kid in "Weird Science" was named Wyatt. And out of the Monkey's mouth every single day spews, "What's a happenin' hotstuff?"

2 comments:

japetersen said...

You are such a good writer!

fivewoods said...

Ditto on Jake Ryan - I think I need a "16 Candles" movie night.....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails