Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Sickey McSick Sick!

IMGP8563

The last couple weeks haven't been the best for us in the health department. Last week I took the Chick to the doctor after a bad weekend. Two ear infections, a sore throat (not strep) and a cold. He was put on antibiotics which as soon as the first dose came reeling towards him, he methodically and frantically has spit it out.

He's probably not really getting better. He won't take his medicine.

He is sleeping better though so the ears must be healing.

Then on Wednesday last week, the older Monkey, though told not to, hid behind a chair and shoved a q-tip to his brain. I was in the other room and will never forget the shrill, awful gut wrenching scream that came from my three year old. It took what felt like ages to get him to calm down and tell me what had happened. He seemed to be doing okay so we let him be.

In the morning though, his bed and ear were covered in blood. Back to the doctor, in the same week, for the other kid's ear.

The conclusion was inconclusive. Swimmers ear, potential perforated ear drum, and a red and pussy sore throat (not strep). We got some ear drops, he failed a hearing test, and we go back in a week to see if there was any real and serious damage done.

Now, at this point, mid week last week, I felt okay. Exhausted from dealing with sick munchkins but surviving.

Saturday day and night I didn't feel well. Sunday night I really didn't feel well. Monday morning I woke up to severe body aches. Like a million little hot pokers being jabbed at my by a very angry squirrel. Yeah, that bad.

We pushed through the day, the baby had a good afternoon nap and the other kid was willing to watch Cars on his bed all afternoon while I slept. Monday night, in the middle of the night, I woke up and knew what was coming.

Bile.

stomach bile.

I raced downstairs so as not to disturb anyone and puked my guts out in the half bath. It was miserable. It was almost an hour of being really, really sick with nothing much to show for it (thank heavens I was sick with nothing in my stomach instead of after dinner).

Yesterday sucked. But not as bad as Monday.

Today is looking better.

When I was a teacher, I got sick every January. I'd come back from winter break and within a week I'd lose my voice. The kids got a kick out of me sounding like Kathleen Turner for a week or two and it would pass. That was it. On the rare occasion that I was sick, or needed a "mental" day, I got to take the day off and wallow in my misery.

No longer. I wish someone would have warned me about this before becoming a mother. I knew it - that mom's don't get days off - but holy freaking crap! I told Ross last night that, I made it through two pregnancies without even a hint of puke, but I catch a cold from the two boys that resulted from those pregnancies and I'm out for the count. For days.

Go figure.

3 comments:

Justin said...

My step dad loved Kathleen Turner.

Melanie said...

I'm the same way -the only time I threw up with Hyrum was when I had a stomach flu... and hopefully yesterday will be the last time with this baby. Hope you all start feeling better sooon.

fivewoods said...

Sounds rough...at least your boys are cute!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails