Friday, December 23, 2005

Declaring Independence


Today we visited the birthplace of the United States; the liberty bell and Independence hall. I had been previously to these historic sites with Haley years before, but it was fun to go again and actually get into the buildings instead of getting there when everything was closed and seeing a man steal a horse carriage. To get close to these sites today, one must go through a circus of security and just my luck, I beeped through the metal detector. The poor soul who had to wand me didn't seem to find my joke about having a "magnetic personality" very amusing. I thought it was quite clever. While at the Liberty Bell, we not only took pictures but saw someone dumb enough to ignore all the DO NOT TOUCH signs and touch the bell for a photo opp. Watching the park ranger yell at the man who didn't understand a word she was saying was particularly entertaining.
After the Liberty Bell we continued to walk through security to get to Independence Hall. Ross and I were excited to see the building where the Declaration of Independence was written and signed but our tour guide, Ranger J. "Like I said, I'm a moron", was a mild deterrent to our enjoyment. It was almost as if he were at the signing and invented his own story and facts. Good thing Ross and I are the history nerds we are and could fill in the holes ourselves.


Independence Hall was very cool and provided some great photo oppourtunities as well. It was fun to play the tourist with my camera around my neck, but very strange to be playing the tourist at Christmas time.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails