Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Brushes with fame

In my life, I've had a few brushes with fame.

In junior high, when the NBA All-Star game was in Utah, I met Bill Lanier because my school got to go to the NBA Stay in School Jam. Also in Jr. High I met Mark Eaton, and the "don't waste Utah" guy, if you remember those adds.

Once, some family members and myself watched a basketball game sitting next to Bill Wennington (he used to be an off the bench center for the Bulls in the early 1990's).

When I was in high school, the quarterback for the University of Utah football team came to a bunch of family parties.

At Disneyland, once I saw one of the T-Birds from Grease (the short chubby one with curly hair) and another time, my dad and I were in line at the Matterhorn and guess who walked past us - OJ, Nicole, and their two kids...right before he killed her.

Haley and I have met the Barenaked Ladies. We drove to Lost Wages for a concert and managed to get ourselves in to the special local radio contest lunch at the House of Blues. We ate some food, watched, and then were introduced to all the members of the band. Haley has a picture to prove it. Then, that night at the concert, Kevin, the piana player, said as the band was leaving the stage after their encore, "To those girls who drove here from Salt Lake City, thanks for coming and drive home safely." "those girls" was us!

Finally, on occasion, if I'm lucky, I get to run into Annie the Spazz (It has to be a double zz because I'm in Utah and everything is a double zz). She's a good friend of mine and always pops up at the most unexpected times. I've run into her when I was teaching high school. She helped me walk head on into a plate glass door and smear my greasy forehead with 50 high school students watching. She helps me trip on sidewalks, choke on chocolate milk, and loose stuff all the time.

Well, Annie the Spazz and I met up on Monday afternoon for a doozy of a reunion. This time, the Spazz helped me walk into a sharp pointy corner of a low hanging roof. I was in the Mountains on Monday at a cabin in the woods and to make a long story short, I walked into a roof at a full speed walking pace. You see, I have this problem where I walk looking down, because I'm always afraid of falling. Well, that's a problem when things are hanging at my eye level. I can't see them.

Two days later, it's obvious that I am not concussed, but my head hurts like the dickens. I've got a big red mark where the point of impact was and this morning I can finally turn my head without sharp pains going down my neck.

Of all my brushes with fame, meeting up with Annie the Spazz is the only one that ever hurts.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

don't forget the time you shook mike doleac's hand......

Anonymous said...

Bill Wennington - Check. I was there.
Dolce. - Check. Been there, too.
Disneyland - Grease, no. O.J., yes. He was pushing a stroller.
BNL - Check. I still have my doubts about the Kevin comment at the end. I've tried several times to get a bootleg copy of that show, but I've yet to find anyone who was there and recorded it.
Annie the Spazz - Check. I think I've met her. Is she related to Haley the Spazz?
-Haley

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails