Monday, July 02, 2007

No! Not hammer time, Helmet Time!

On Friday, my Mom and I took Elliott to the helmet doctor. To make a 2 hour appointment short, the monkey needs a helmet. His head is flat and lopsided a bit (see illustration) and needs to be fixed. Today, we have an appointment to get a mold of his head made for the reshaping head helmet. He will have to wear it for as little as 6 weeks up to 6 months, depending on who we talk to.
(Illustration borrowed and adapted from www.infantheadbed.com)

I'm a little disappointed and nervous about the whole process. It makes me think I'm a bad mom and I couldn't keep my little baby's head round and that, when he is wearing his helmet, people will think there is something wrong with his cognitive ability/ability to not hurt himself, etc. But, on the bright side, he won't grow up with a grotesquely misshapen head, and I can get him any color of helmet I want. It will be so red, you'll see him a mile away!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

oh poor little guy! he is still perfect! trust me the helmet is much better than having an ultra flat head. there is a kid in our ward that desperately needed a helmet and never got one. now he's walking and his head it still as flat as a board in the back. it's awful. and just think, you could put a bunch of cute UTE stickers on it and stuff! or draw with a sharpie like a cast....:o)

.::still blinking::. said...

I think that is a bit of a grotesque illustration! Yikes. I am sure his head is not that bad.

I think people are pretty understanding of the helmets. It is hard to avoid flat heads when they are supposed to sleep on their backs. Gentry had flat head for a while, but when he got so he could roll over it went away.

You are not a bad mom. You are taking care of the problem, that is what good mom's do.

Lisa said...

I never noticed and now I never will. I think with his size you can just tell people, he is learning to skateboard before he walks or crawls - and no one would question a thing! He is so adorable and so loved - Elliot is very lucky to have you as his mommy.

Melanie said...

If it makes you feel any better, I work with kids that have something wrong with their cognitive ability and they don't wear helmets!!!

My dad's neice had a helmet for a little while and she was still dang cute while she was wearing it.
In fact, I think it made her feel invincible because she could knock into things and not feel it. Something she quickly had to 'un-learn' when it came off!

Bing Math said...

Don't worry about. It will be just fine. He's healthy and strong and that's what matters. Is there a hole at the top for his pony tail?

Michele said...

I think you should put him in a jersey and say he is training to be a football player! I would never relate a helmet to cognitive difficulties and I defintitely don't think you are a bad mom!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails