Thursday, March 19, 2009

Some people

I know this lady. She lives in the neighborhood that adjoins mine. My husband is friends with her husband through church. Long before I knew who she was married to, I knew who she was. The only time I have participated in a church sport in the last 4 years was 4 years ago. We were new and I thought I ought to give being social a try.

I went to play volleyball and she was there. Laughing, yelling, being dumb. I don't do dumb. During one of the first rally's of the game she kicked the ball. Over the net. Why not right?

Bad form.

I was so enraged that I swore to never play again and her image was ingrained on my brain.

Occasionally, at church functions and while out and about we run into her. She isn't the sharpest crayon in the box. Her husband pretty much has to be in charge of everything I think. She never remembers my name. She never remembers my kids name. When I encounter her, the conversation usually starts with "Hey - I think I'm supposed to know you, right?"

Last week we got lunch at the Chick-fil-a. As we were pulling away from the drive through, she was parking her mini van at a store. Diagonally. Across almost three full spaces.

The other day, the monkey and I went to target for a few essentials like diapers, wipes, and Cadbury mini eggs. At the same time I was trying to get a cart and my boy was darting away from me faster than a cheetah, she walked in.

I got the, "Hey - I think I'm supposed to know you, right?"

I said, "Yes, my husband is...."

Oh yeah - she said. What's your name?

Annie I told her.

Right - that's similar to my name, i should remember that (snort, laugh)
side note: our names are not similar

Yeah, maybe next time I say.

Do you work?

Yes I do.

Wow! How do you do that? I mean, you do it every day?

Yes - I do. I'm busy. Every day.

At this point I start walking away. She keeps talking. Not sure what she's saying but I do the obligatory, "Oh yeah, really" sort of stuff.

We finally escape to go and find our diapers.

1 comment:

Erin @ Two More Seconds said...

This is really funny. I so know the type.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails