Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Blog Stalking

Over the weekend, some of Ross' family was in town from out of state. We had a great time spending a good chunk of the weekend with them - at least when i wasn't at home curled in a ball on my bed thinking that I might be dying. Like Cameron in Ferris Beuhler's day off. Remember? Cameron is sick in bed and tells Ferris that he's dying and Ferris says, "You're not dying, you just can't think of anything good to do". Well, I wasn't dying, and I thought of a million better things to do, but lying in my bed with a good book that led to a long nap? That was heaven for my ankles, my blood pressure, and me.

Anyway

On Sunday night we had a brief discussion about Face Book. I de-activated my FB account after about 3 months of wasting time on the site. I only had 50 friends, most of whom I was related to or talked to all the time anyway, and I was getting sucked in to the stupidity of it all - checking out people I went to high school with to see if they were fat, or losers, or successful; spying on the women of my neighborhood to see how many of them were pregnant, that sort of thing. And - it was such a waste of time (for me). Spending hours surfing through lists of people....Oh the webs we weave, right?

At the same time I dumped FB, my husband went full steam ahead. Hundreds of friends, many of which he probably never exchanged more than a few words with ever. Lots of girls from high school - go figure - and people from the Olympics, etc. He's even friends with some of the MOMS of kids he went to school with (wrong on so many levels, right?).

That's not the point - the point is....

while on FB, I found the mother lode. I found the blogs of a couple people I went to high school with - who of course link to everyone else I went to high school with and for the last couple of months, I regularly spy on these people weekly.

It's embarrassing.

I cannot stop.

Why is it so much fun, and so interesting, to secretly look through the peephole to other peoples lives? People we know, but don't really know? People we haven't seen for years and don't really care about at all.

I don't know.

I suppose it's time to delete the bookmarks and quit looking.

but it's just so much fun.

what about the rest of you? Do you blog stalk?

2 comments:

japetersen said...

No -- and I stay away from FB. Just not interested --
Mom

Michele said...

I have contemplated getting a FB account and have actually been peer pressured into it..but I know that it would take up so much time and I would constantly be checking it and anyways I am currently saying no to FB. However, I too have found old HS peers blogs and find myself much more interested in them then I should be. I think it feels so wrong because I would never, never let them know I am lurking.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails