Saturday, June 06, 2009

Which Parent Has the Better Deal? | Momversation

Occasionally, I stumble across one of these Momversation topics that peaks my interest.

I watch the video.

Think about the topic for a few minutes and then go about my day.

Yesterday though, I watched a video that is the title of this post, "Which parent has the better deal" and probably because I'm feeling very worn out and picked on at the moment, it's stuck with me.

yes, I'm dwelling a bit.

Which Parent Has the Better Deal? | Momversation

Posted using ShareThis

In our home, we really do a pretty good job, most of the time, sharing responsibilities. When our ratio was 2:1, things generally went well. Starting when Elliott was a baby, as soon as Ross walked in the door I threw the screaming, colicky baby to him and ran away. I'd fix dinner, I'd work, I'd hide out under the bed so no one could find me. Dad was in charge for the night and we were all okay with that.

Ross was always good to get up in the middle of the night (thank heavens for good dads and formula - so I didn't have to be in charge all night, too) and completely take over with said Monkey. Weekends have always been dad time and even when we've gone on trips, I know that the bulk of the parenting will (happily?) fall on Ross' shoulders.

I love that.

Now our ratio is 2:2. That's an entirely different ballgame - those of you who have two or more kids know that and are whispering a big "I told you so" while reading this. Here's my issue though - the husband has a VERY DEMANDING JOB that keeps him away from home, sometimes 12 hours a day (Yes, Ross - you are gone that long). He also has a side project right now sucking up every free minute and most of the weekend (good thing were the religious type or I'm sure he'd be working on Sunday's too.). He also has a lot of "side projects" with his church callings as well.

and, we have an almost 4 week old baby.

And the mama had a c-section and isn't supposed to do anything - even though out of necessity I do. And then the next day I pay for it physically.

so right now, I would say Ross has the better "parenting deal" at the moment. For the simple fact that he's not home...and i am.

It bugs me.

I'm really worn out.

And desperate to have my husband home on a Saturday to help me out!

And talk to me. Or even ignore me - that's okay too.

Soon enough, I hope.

At least he gets up at night with the squirt. Every time! With out fail.

And when he gets home from work, even if it's late, he still does his best to take over and let me "run away" for a minute or two.

I love that, too.

And him.

And my boys.

Living in a house with all boys is just like my mom told me it would be. When they need you, they NEED YOU. Otherwise, the tv is sufficient and I'm white noise.

***
So, what's it like in your house? Who has the better deal?

2 comments:

Erin @ Two More Seconds said...

M is a lot like R in the way that he helps out WAY more than a lot of husbands I hear about. He's always taking Mason places just the 2 of them and doing almost full duty on nights and weekends, too. Ever since Mase was an infant, too. So I know I'm lucky. I'm also incredibly nervous at what's going to happen in 2 months when Horton gets here --- I know we're going to be turned on our heads too & adding preschool and graduate school starting on the same day into the mix - well, it's not going to be pretty.

japetersen said...

You're the Mom -- get used to it -- it will always be a 1:family ratio. It's actually pretty good. Can you imagine 2 Moms in a house?
Your Mom

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails