Tuesday, September 01, 2009

33 years

Today is my parents 33 wedding anniversary.

I've been scrolling through my online pictures and I cannot find one of my parents together.

Funny.



IMG_0200

33 years. That's a long time. My parents are pretty young. They got married pretty young. With the exception of my brother, they had kids pretty young.

They have both always worked and worked hard to give their kids (and grandsons, and sons in law) the best in life.

I love my parents.

Very much.

I had the thought this morning that when my mom and dad got married, my dad was in school, finishing his bachelors degree. And now, 33 years later, my dad is back in school.

Starting over, so to speak.

You see -my dad has always had a job. A J-O-B. He's always been a hard worker and taken care of us. But now, after a bit of soul searching I suppose, my dad is going back to school. He's truly starting over.

He quit his job.

Jobs are funny things. Most of us want one, all of us need one to feel good about ourselves and be productive members of society. Some of us are lucky enough to have careers - a profession that we love and are passionate about - but most of us...we have jobs.

I read once that the average American has about 14 jobs in their lifetime and switches careers a couple of times these days.

My dad's old job had been his for the last 17 years. But, after a lot of thinking, soul searching, whatever you want to call it - he decided that the time was right to jump ship and finally find something that he WANTS to do - instead of HAS to do.

You have to have a job - I think it's super cool that my dad finally has the chance to find a career, a path, a future.

Even if he's a grandpa.

And a little scared of his computer technology class.

He's doing it.

Taking the plunge.

Being bold and brave.

It's awesome.

Life always seems to take us full circle - lots of times I suppose.

This is just one of those times.

1 comment:

japetersen said...

Thank you, Annie --
Very nice!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails