Friday, September 18, 2009

My Boys Friday: The importance of size

Yesterday we took the Squirt to his 4 month appointment. He weighs 20 pounds (well, 19.11 so we'll round up) and is 26.5 inches long. That puts him in the 90% percentile, overall.

photo.jpg

He is currently wearing 12 month clothes and doesn't have a whole lot of room to maneuver. He doesn't have ankles and is so solid, that when you squeeze his leg, there is hardly any give.

He is also starving - we got the okay from the pediatrician to start him on rice cereal STAT and in the next few weeks move him to cereal and fruits, and then vegetables, and then the food flood gates will surely open wide.

Here's the funny thing - this little baby - my little squirt - is smaller than his brother was at 4 months old. When I hold my little ball of goo, the heft of him really takes it's toll on my shoulders and arms. But, he still is a smaller than the monkey was.

By 2 pounds, and almost an inch.
sitting up018

I've been thinking about the size of my boys a lot lately. They both happen to be bigger than anyone their age. A lot bigger. Ridiculously bigger. I've also spent some time thinking about the future of this size of thiers. A few weeks ago, after Sunday dinner at my parents, we plugged our measurements into an online calculator to see just how big my Monkey might end up when he's full height. The numbers were calculated and the prediction was about 6'6". With that thought, that my boy could be a bit of a giant, I was a bit giddy, smiling from ear to ear.

It gets me excited for the Squirt, too. That he is on the same trajectory as his older brother - that my boys will be giant boys.

And what if they are athletic?

And what if they are really good athletes?

And what if they play college ball?

And what if they win me a NCAA tournament championship?

And what if they follow their mothers advice and marry tall girls?

Then just think about my grandchildren.

If only I could be so lucky. A mother can dream, right?

And then I got to thinking....
About how much I love being tall, and big. And about how excited I am that my boys are big. How cute my chubby baby is, and how great my lean, mean giant two year old is.

I know that there are lots of things in life more important than size. Like intelligence, and kindness, and courage, and virtue....

But I have to be honest with you, tall is pretty important to me, too.

And, the fact that my boys are probably going to be taller than your kids, well?

I think that's wicked awesome.

And, because I'm their mom, I'm sure they'll be smarter, too.

3 comments:

Bing Math said...

Whatever. I'm going to have midget kids and they'll be much smarter than your tall volleyball players!

Just kidding.

I love your squishy boys!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
James said...

I would have to agree with Jared.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails