Wednesday, September 01, 2010

I wish I had this kind of talent

I read a blog post here yesterday that spoke to my heart

People (including my husband on occasion) mock me, but if I really could have a wish, it would be that I could sing and dance.  Not just the glee club kind of sing, but really belt it out, knock peoples socks off kind of sing.

And dancing?  Fuhgetaboutit!

When I was younger I always took dance lessons.  When I was 12 I joined a teacher who had big recitals and got us dancers into parades.  No one ever told me (thank you!) that I didn't have the talent and finally, when I was 12 or 13 I realized that I was just too tall (6 feet tall) to be a dancer.  And, the fact that I was often asked, after tripping on an invisible pot hole, "Hey Grace, how's charm school" helped me make my decision.

I'm not big on dance recitals, think clogging and other specialty type dancing is dumb.  But, having the ability to groove to music without looking like a fool - that is something I'd love to have.

My boys and I have regularly scheduled, weekly dance parties.  We have a play list on the ipod called, "Songs to Dance To" and we'll rock out until all three of us are sweaty and just cannot move anymore.  Our moves are signature and our passion for dance is strong.  We sing along, and dance our large, and tiny booties off.  Some day soon, my boys won't want to dance with me, they'll realize I'm a dork.  Right now, I'll take all the dance parties I can get. 

I remember as a little girl my mom trying to get my dad to dance with her.  He would stand still and she would try to lead - but ended up just sort of dancing around him and singing along to the music.  We laughed and probably joined in.

If you're still reading after all this dancing nonsense, watch this video.  Not only is it dancing from some of my favorite films (Footloose, Dirty Dancing and Grease), but there is a lot of John Travolta dancing and come on!  It's John Travolta dancing.

Need I say more.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails