Thursday, November 11, 2010

Day Eleven: Honoring a Veteran

The month of November is National Blog Posting Month. This is my 5th year participating. This year, for thirty days, I'll be telling stories from some point in my life. Enjoy!

siblings

**Clarification:
I seem to have offended my Uncle Blaine's family by this post.  I'm sorry.  I've change what was found to be offensive and I wish them all the peace they can find in their time of grieving.  I just wanted to pay tribute.

Today is Veterans Day. I had a great story about identity theft to share today (my identity was stolen on Veterans Day night, 2001). Instead however, I'd like to honor a veteran.

My grandma's brother, Blaine Eccles, passed away last night after a very brief but brave battle with cancer. He was 82 years old and a veteran of the Korean War, as so many men his age were and are.

I really don't know much about my Uncle Blaine except that he's always been around.  He has always supported everyone on my side of the family. No matter what we've invited him to over the years, he's been there. Weddings, parties, sporting events. The only time he hasn't arrived on time was when we had a surprise 80th birthday part for him. For that event, he didn't even show. He stayed home, and we partied without him, in his honor.

He appeared to be in good health in August at a family wedding but quickly went down hill in the last two months. My Aunt Cindy wrote a nice post about last weekend with Uncle Blaine. You should read it here.

We'll miss you Uncle Blaine. Rest peacefully.

2 comments:

fivewoods said...

Good post...keep on blogging

japetersen said...

Very nice! You are a great daughter and an amazing writer!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails