Sunday, November 07, 2010

Day Seven: Basketball Diary

The month of November is National Blog Posting Month. This is my 5th year participating. This year, for thirty days, I'll be telling stories from some point in my life. Enjoy!

IMGP1071

I played basketball in high school.  I was okay.  I was very good at being tall.

During Christmas break my sophomore year, we had a basketball game against a neighboring high school at a church.  It was an unofficial "practice game", but I think we actually had referee's.


I don't remember.


I was playing in the game and got a rebound.  I brought the ball down and protected it as a good center should.  As I was tucking the ball and preparing to swing my elbows a bit to clear some space I noticed something.


A tiny little guard on the opposing team was reaching into my realm to try and get the ball.


She was trying to steal my rebound.


Or, steal my thunder more like it.


I wasn't prepared for that and immediately went into my basketball center instinct mode "Must protect the ball".  


With one strong swing of the elbows and shoulders, I spun around with the ball.


And the guard.  She remained firmly attached and flew in the air.


Promise.  There were witnesses.


She flew in the air and landed SPLAT on the ground.


It was one of the most embarrassing things that has ever happened to me.


Ever.


Attack of the giant amazon girl!

1 comment:

Bing Math said...

I was there. She flew. I think they were repairing the floor or something at the school. Why is there a chubby football referee picture on the basketball post?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails