Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Day Seventeen: Smarty Pants

The month of November is National Blog Posting Month. This is my 5th year participating. This year, for thirty days, I'll be telling stories from some point in my life. Enjoy!

IMGP9178

This boy of mine. 

Let me tell you.

He is too smart for his own good.

He has brought so much joy and laughter (and tears and frustration) to my life since the day he was born almost 4 years ago.

I cannot believe that I will have a 4 year old.  Whose going on 16.  At least.

This kid of mine is a smarty pants.  He has a photographic memory, is obsessed with math and numbers, and is teaching himself how to read.

Preschool is awesome.

Every day Elliott comes up to me with a different combination of fingers up on each hand, asking me if I know the number.  If I can do the math.  When I'm right I get a pat on the shoulder, a "good job mom" and a wink with a thumbs up.

His new obsession however is spelling.  He spells everything.  We read books with him spelling out every single word on the page.  He spells letters with pretzels.  He spells imaginary words.

"Mom, what spells e-m-m-a-s-z-l-y-t-a?" he'll ask me in the car.

"Nothing," I reply.  "That my boy, is not a word," I say kindly.

"Sure it is mom.  You just aren't trying hard enough.  It says cat!"

We play this game back and forth.  Back and forth.  All day long.  Every single day.

On Monday we were in the car and I got this question, at random in our series of spelling words.

"Mom, what spells p-o-o?"

I started to laugh.  He had no idea what he'd asked me.

"That spells poo, Elliott"

"What?"  he said surprised.

"You heard me.   You know what it spells.  Don't ask me again" I said back, stifling my laugh because his was already contagious.

I'm sure you can figure out where the rest of that conversation with a three year old went.  Lots of spelling and singing of those three letters.

He started to get a bit hysterical in the car, laughing at his bodily function genius.

He then said to me, "Mom, I just can't control my laughter.  Spelling poo is just too funny."

Yes my boy.  I guess it is.

1 comment:

Rika said...

awesome post. what a funny little guy!! xo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails