Thursday, November 18, 2010

Day Eighteen: baking

The month of November is National Blog Posting Month. This is my 5th year participating. This year, for thirty days, I'll be telling stories from some point in my life. Enjoy

photo.jpg

Today - as a pinch hitting emergency life saver - I've been commissioned to bake a cake.  A real live cake.  For a party tomorrow night.

How cool is that?  I'll let you know how it goes.

I have been baking since I was a little girl.  I'm not sure how old I was when the reins of cookie baking were handed my direction, but I feel comfortable saying that I have perfected the chocolate chip cookie.

When I get stressed out I often find that I recite this to myself:
shortening, sugar, eggs, vanilla.
shortening, sugar, eggs, vanilla.
shortening, sugar, eggs, vanilla.

It's like my own little mantra.

I love to bake.  I'm starting to love to cook.  But I LOVE to bake.

On Monday I made 100 cupcakes.  On Tuesday I iced them all.  Piping icing is seriously one of the most fun things in the world.  I'm still not very good at it but its so much fun.

It's probably all about the creating.  Very rarely do I ever eat a cupcake.  Yes, I taste the batter and get a couple good hits of butter cream icing down the gullet but it's all about the process for me.

The ingredients, the baking, the creation.

If I could make a career out of food I would do it in a second. 

Food (mostly sweets and croissants) is becoming my passion.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails