Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Day Nine: Just Dance!

The month of November is National Blog Posting Month. This is my 5th year participating. This year, for thirty days, I'll be telling stories from some point in my life. Enjoy!

It's no secret that in our family we love music.  There is always music playing.  There are always songs to be enjoyed.  We love to listen and to sing.

And, we love to dance.

What you may not know is that when I was a little girl, I REALLY loved to dance.  Lessons were part of my life from probably three until I was 12.  The teacher I'd had my entire life moved and I joined up with a new "studio".  That change gave me the chance to be in bigger programs, and even dance my way down a few parade routes.

The new teacher and group of girls though - left a lot to be desired.  I was out of my element.  I had no friends.  I realized for the first time in my life that I was too tall.  You see, as a 12 year old I was five feet eleven inches tall.  Yikes, right?  A girl that tall dancing with girls that barely make it up to her chest stands out a bit.

I stood out a lot.  I'd like to say it was because I was so graceful and charming and elegant on the stage.

Um...that wasn't why I stood out.  There was some definite ugly duckling going on....and at that age, no hope of turning into a beautiful swan.

It was a hard decision to make but I quit dancing.  I just really wasn't very good.

I still however, have some sweet moves.  Think - Elaine from Seinfeld....yeah, I'm that good.

And, lucky for me I've passed my desire to dance through life (it's still there...why else would we have sweat breaking dance parties in the kitchen every single day) down to my boys.

And, un-lucky for him, my dear sweet boy has inherited my sweet dance moves, too.

1 comment:

Codi said...

Whoa!! Those moves are fierce! I've been planning to post a video of Lucy's recent in-house dance party but I don't know if she can compete with these sweet moves.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails