I had a little bit of time last week (you know, when one kid goes to a friends to play and the other takes the last nap of his life) to sit at the computer and look around on Pinterest for some inspiration. Food inspiration, that is. After all, tis the season of the summer BBQ and family party and I needed something new to bring to the table.
And I found these. Homemade peppermint patties. Sort of. They were fun and easy to make and I should have made a double batch.
1 pound (1 bag) powdered sugar
4 oz cream cheese, soft
1 tsp mint extract (and a little more to put in the chocolate)
6-8 oz chocolate chips
1. Add sugar to the cream cheese. Beat until completely incorporated.
2. Add the mint extract
3. Using a teaspoon to measure, roll the dough into teaspoon sized balls and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
4. Create a small bowl/indentation using the back of the teaspoon into each ball.
5. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour.
6. Melt chocolate chips, add mint extract and blend well. Place chocolate chips into a zip lock bag, cut off the tip of the bag and pipe the chocolate onto each mint.
7. Let the chocolate set, cover and refrigerate 4-6 hours (or over night).
Keep the mints in the fridge. I bet they will be good for at least a week, if they last more than a few hours.