Wednesday, December 13, 2006

I'm not an idiot! Sweet!

About three years ago I started a process called National Board for Professional Teaching Standards Certification. At the time I thought I was hot stuff and the best teacher in the world. I selected a mentor to help me put a portfolio together, video tape myself teaching, and prepare for a pretty heinous exam. All in all, the first time around, I think I put in about 240 hours. And guess what - I failed! I actually failed quite miserably. Good thing there are retakes, right?

Well, the next year, I decided to get a new mentor (one that actually knew something about history, not art like Mentor #1) and I had her help. Unfortunately for me, I chose to cut corners and rely on my natural intelect and test taking ability. Big mistake because guess what...I failed a second time around. Idiot! Failed a second time.

After much deliberation I decided to try for a third and final time. I was nervous and had a bad track record to rely on. But, I got my scores today and I PASSED with flying colors. Yeah me! I am not as big of a moron as I thought I was and now I get to have the title of "master teacher" for the next 12 years...that's when my certification expires.

I just wanted to share.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails