Monday, December 03, 2007

Songs in the key of Annie

At the admonition of my dear sweet, cuddly, self proclaimed "stud muffin" little brother, I am going to try (but not try that hard)and continue blogging every day in the month of December.

NaBloPoMo lives on.....

When I was a kid and we went on road trips, one of the games that we would play was to try and think of a song about a person, for every letter in the alphabet. We'd all play and shout out all the songs we could think of. Some letters were tricky (Z) and some had the same song all the time ("Quinn the Eskimo"), but we were generally successful in our game. This however, spurred us onward and upward, at least me, to seek out songs that were "just about me".

There are two Annie songs that I like in particular. I will share them with you now.

#1: Valley Winter Song by Fountains of Wayne
Hey Sweet Annie
Don't take it so bad
You know the summer's coming soon
Though the interstate is choking under salt and dirty sand
And it seems the sun is hiding from the moon

Your daddy told you
When you were a girl
The kind of things that come to those who wait
So give it a rest girl
Take a deep breath girl
And meet me at the Bay State tonight
(lyrics truncated)



#2: Annie Waits by Ben Folds
And so
Annie waits, Annie waits, Annie waits
For a call
From a friend
The same
It's the same
Was it always the same?
Annie waits for the last time

The clock never stops, never stops, never waits
She's growing old
It's getting late
And so he forgot, he forgot
Maybe not
Maybe he's been seriously hurt
Would that be worse?
(lyrics truncated)



Both of these songs remind me of periods in my own life. They are snappy and catchy and when they come up on shuffle, I will always listen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I heart FOW. I heart BF. Did you know that FOW also have a "Haley" song on the same album as the "Annie" song. I don't really like it, but it's still a nifty coincidence.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails