Thursday, June 05, 2008

Dinner last night

I know a lot of people who don't fix real dinners and families that don't eat real dinners these days. I fix real dinners almost every night. By real I guess I mean from scratch - like, take all these ingredients and turn them into something - as opposed to going out to eat, microwaving something, etc.

Last night was an experimental real dinner and it turned out pretty good. No pictures, because I just don't know how to take pictures of food that make it look appetizing, but here's the run down.

Shredded Sweet Pork
Cilantro-Lime rice
lettuce
Tortillas
Lime-Cilantro vinaigrette
chips and salsa

I slow cooked the pork all day long and it was great! The vinaigrette took a mere 2 minutes to put together and we ended up with a relatively authentic knock-off of a local restaurant's mexican salad.

It didn't take me all day to prepare, and the results were tasty.

Here are the recipes, in case you are interested:
Sweet Pork (found it on another blog - no credits, sorry)
1 crock pot
1 pork roast
1 cup salsa
1 cup brown sugar
cook the pork in the crock pot on low for about 8 hours. With an hour or so left, shred it. You might need to add a bit more salsa, sugar, or a touch of water if it got a bit to dry. Keep on warm until ready to serve.

Lime-cilantro vinaigrette (from recipes.com)
1 cup packed cilantro
1/2 c. olive oil
1/4 c. lime juice
1/4 c. orange juice
1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
pinch of minced garlic (my "pinch" was 3 small cloves)

throw everything in the blender and enjoy. It would probably taste good chilled, but we used it room temp.

1 comment:

Harried Mom said...

Annie, that does sound yummy, thanks for sharing. I too tend to cook from scratch and would love to swap ideas now and then. As to the local eatery where you likely got the salad idea, I've never eaten at cafe rio, but hear it is great. My weight watchers meeting once mentioned the points value of one of those salads and I about died, would have taken an entire days points to eat that! - Tiff

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails