Sunday, June 08, 2008

frumpy, dumpy, and lumpy

I saw bits of a makeover show the other day and the woman being made over was referred to as the title of this post by the host. That resonated with me. I am 2 out of 3 these days (I am not dumpy - even though my mom told me that my sister thinks I'm pathetic. Haley, say it isn't so?) I made my sister go shopping with me on Friday so she could be my nanny. Thanks nanny. I really want a nice dress - I can't find one. I even went to Lane Bryant (which, have you ever noticed the initials are LB - huh. How about that?)

Being a domestic servant - I mean mom - can get a bit tiresome and yes, lumpy. Lots of lumpy, but pretty much none of them those lovely lady lumps Fergie talks about. But that's not what this post is about. This post is about something else entirely and maybe after I've written it, all of us will know what that something else is.

I am not going to see the New Kids on the Block. They are coming to the SLC in November of this year on their reunion tour. My sister sent me the concert announcement yesterday. I forwarded it to a friend. I THOUGHT about it ALL DAY yesterday and a bit this morning. I made my decision. No way, Jose! I am too old to want to flash back to what life was like the weekend before I started 7th grade, with braces, right after I turned 12 years old. I'm past it.

The potential concert demographic is a bit scary too. Who is going to go and watch them? How many women in their early to mid 30's would I be surrounded by? Crying and screaming hysterically because they know that Donnie was meant to be with them - and their 4.5 kids. Yeah, the picture isn't pretty. And, Ross probably wouldn't want me as his "favorite girl" anymore anyway.

Part of me will always be "hangin' tough", but not the part of me that is unwilling to fork over $70 (yeah, that's as much as I paid for Sting the last time he came to town) for a reunion concert that is sure to disappoint. I saw the vid. of their today show performance and it was a bit yucky. They are just too old to be "loving me forever". Don't they have wives and kids by now? Shouldn't they?

So yeah, I'm taking the high road, "step by step" because even though I'm frumpy, dumpy, and lumpy, I've still got "the right stuff". Ha!

and, my kid is pretty cute - check him out!


3 comments:

Codi said...

Well I think you helped me make my decision, I think I'm a no-go too. The idea sounded fun in the beginning but Annie, we're COOL moms that listen to Death Cab and Belle & Sebastian. We'd be totally out of place at the New Kids show.

Let's let our memories stay the same and not have them ruined by late-forty-somethings trying to still do the "right stuff" dance.

p.s. but if you happen to win tickets on the radio or something - call me!

Anonymous said...

You're weird. . . . And I didn't call you pathetic. - Haley

Unknown said...

he is so cute.....i love when they try to talk....avery is great at saying mommy but everything else seems to be daddy or doggie...it's so cute.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails