Thursday, June 26, 2008

Disaster

A couple of years ago, when we were finishing our landscaping. A literal butt-load of dirt was ordered. It got delivered to the street in front of our house. The next day we got a notice that if the dirt wasn't moved, we'd be fined $1800 by the city. Upon that notice, Ross left me alone with the dirt to go to a church meeting.

I cried, said some bad words, and called in the reserves. My family, my neighbor, and some good friends came to my aide and we moved all the dirt.

Last summer, a hose was left on all day long. It flooded our entire basement. I called in the reserves, and then came to our rescue.

This morning - the same person who left the hose on last summer did it again. It was left on all night long. I had a flood in my basement this morning. It wasn't as bad as the flood last year, but there were still a few spots that were so deep my feet were completely covered in water.

The monkey and I were left all on our own to clean up the mess. So, after some crying, sobbing, panicking and muttering unmentionables under my breath, I did the only thing I know how to do - I called in the reserves and they came running - with wet vac's and pool pumps. Five hours later after a lot of vacuuming, pumping, sweating, heavy lifting, and slushing around in nasty, stinky, dirty water, we've got most of it out of the basement. It's still seeping in, but the worst of it has been dealt with.

Thank you reserves - you know who you are and I am forever in your debt.

The hose? It is now in the garbage never to be seen again.

The culprit? Perhaps some concrete goulashes are in order.

2 comments:

Harried Mom said...

Oh Annie, I really really feel for you having had a similar experience last summer myself. If I'd have known Brian would have brought by an industrial pump from the mine, should god forbid you experience another incident in the next couple of weeks let me know and we too will come to your rescue. As we are moving to Denver in a couple of weeks I'd like to say for your sakes (mainly for your sanity) I hope this NEVER happens again!!!- Tiffany

Erin @ Two More Seconds said...

I had to come right home and read this ... ha ha ha ... I have to say it's much funnier to hear your "unrated" version of the story. But yes, let's hope you've had enough flooding for your lifetime!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails