Saturday, September 20, 2008

Sugar coating in the blogosphere

There are many blogs that grace the presence of my monitor on a daily basis. I mean, I read A LOT of blogs. Some good, some bad, some gossipy, some beautiful and inspiring, some of those "mommy blogs", some crafty and a lot of blogs of family and friends. I really like reading my blogs - reading what real people have to say about real life. It's refreshing.

That being said, it seems lately that I find a good deal of sugar coating though and that's starting to bug me. I've got to thinking that I just cannot understand why people don't tell it like it is, on the Internets. For example, I read blogs of people who have gone on trips and their kids were brats, but on their blog they say the trip was great! awesome! wonderful! Best trip ever! LIAR! Or, people who have a new baby, a new car, a new pet, a new pedicure and it's always glossy and nice and happy and sweet with butterflies and flowers and yummy smells every where.

Now, don't get me wrong - I like butterflies and yummy smells, but I also want to know that my blogging "peeps" are going through the same things as me. I want to know when their baby cries and pukes and was a stinker, when their new car broke down, when their new pet ate the corner of the sofa and when their new pedicure caused a nasty fungal infection in their big toe.

Maybe that's just me? Am I the only one who wants brutal honestly? Perhaps, but I don't think so.

Where did this come from? A really rough morning with my kid, that's where. The boy woke up at 6:30 am - on a Saturday! Ug. Ross got him out of bed, changed his diaper, and threw him in bed with us where he eventually went back to sleep for about 45 minutes. Since the moment he woke up, until I finally got him down for a nap, things were rough.

He wouldn't eat breakfast.
He only wanted to watch choo choo.
He forgot how to walk, stand, and sit (rough things to forget).
He fell and crashed and got hurt running naked from the bathtub to the bedroom where his clothes were waiting.

Dad rescued us both and took said boy with him to get the car's oil changed. When they got home things escalated.

It was nap time and someone didn't want a nap. Instead, he wanted to scream, throw himself dramatically onto the floor and gag on his own boogers. Being the good mom I rescued him and how did he pay me back? Yes, my almost 20 month old slapped me in the face, multiple times, because I couldn't read his mind (and probably because I was sort of laughing).

That incident earned him a time out on the bottom of the stairs. Time outs are new to us and they are a struggle of gargantuan proportions. I held him on the stair - put him back on the stair 4 times in his measly minute and by the time we were finished with said time out, he was spent.

My boy wanted to go in the basement and watch cartoons. Too bad there was such a screaming, boogering communication glitch - the glitch being he can't talk so good.

It was an episode to say the least.

We finally got in the basement, watched cartoons for 20 minutes and then very willingly mind you, we marched ourselves upstairs and into bed. Just Elliott, not me! He's been out now for almost two hours - it seems that he was tired, too.

On a more positive note - most of the week was really great and yesterday my boy was in a good mood and I got him to sing a song with me. Please feel free to sing along with us on the video.


2 comments:

njt said...

Thanks for keeping it real. Us Mommas need that - esp. in blogland.

xo Rika

Harried Mom said...

I promise Annie, my blog will never sugar coat my two terrorists behavior. Mainly as I don't care who reads my blog, that is the one place I can really let loose about the craziness of parenting.-Tiff

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails