Sunday, November 15, 2009

Day 15: obsessed

barbed wire

It's been mentioned many times on this here blog that I love to read. Really. I LOVE to read. It's what keeps me sane, and smart, and verbal, and my brain active.

Right now though - I've got a reading obsession.

I thought that I'd always know the story of Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn. My mom sang us a creepy song about her wandering the tower of London with her head tucked underneath her arm, when we were kids. At the beginning of the year I had an Elizabeth I phase and read several books about the "Virgin Queen". I've often told people that I should have been born in England, not America - Europe just feels so much more natural to me in some way.

I digress...

A month or so ago I saw the movie, "The Other Boleyn Girl" on tv. It portrayed the queen of 1000 days in a manner with which I was unfamiliar.

I thought I knew her history and alas - I knew nothing.

The movie - largely because of what I thought were historical inaccuracies sparked an interest...an obsession? An historical quest?

I'm on my third Anne Boleyn book in about as many weeks. It's fascinating. I cannot stop reading about this women, her passion, her drive, her deception.

Truly - reading about her is better drama than can be found on television or the movies...and it was real life.

A woman destined for fame and fortune and power that ended up getting her head chopped off for deceit - namely in the form of "treason" (ie affairs, incest, speaking out against the king).

Reading about Anne has restored in me a passion for history that had been buried a bit - buried in diapers and dinner and my duties at home and at work. I desperately look forward to each night where I get to tear myself away from reality for a bit and read about real people, and their real lives...even if it's all speculation and here say from 500 or so years ago.

1 comment:

melissa said...

Read on! I think the only thing to do with an obsession like that, is to feed it until it's satiated. And then move on to the next fascinating thing. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails