Monday, November 02, 2009

Day 2: Rockin' the Suburbs

We love to dance.

We love to sing.

We love to sing while dancing.

As a parent, I decided early on that I would not get sucked into the world of children's music. No way, Jose! We would sing kids songs, and watch kids shows, but when it was time to play the tunes, oh, the tunes would be rockin. Or at least our particular version of wuss rock. There would be no kids bop in our house.

It's thre real deal ladies and gentlemen.

I have a friend who recently told me that she's spent so much time listening to what her kids like, or what she thinks that they would like, that she doesn't even know what kind of music she likes herself.

That's tragic.

Truly tragic.

As a kid, we listened to the music of my parents. Lots of beach boys and beatles, jethro tull, the doors, elton john, billy joel, the mamas and the papas, john denver, james taylor....you get the gist.

My brother right now has a thing for the Jackson 5. I don't get it, but I know, He'll be there.

The tunes in our home today are a bit different than those I grew up with, but not by much.

With the ipod on shuffle every single day, the Monkey regularly turns to me and says, "oh mama, I like that song. Turn it up." Or, he'll ask, "Mom, what's that song about."

The kid has a good ear. And some good moves.

He likes to listen and to groove. I love to watch him get his groove on, sort of like Napoleon Dynamite, his alter ego.





So does Chicker. He's quite the music guy, too. His favorite song, since he was born, is the Beatles, "All my lovin'." When I sing it to him, he smiles. When he hears it on the pod, he smiles. How he knows that song - over every other song I'm not quite sure, but he does.

2 comments:

fivewoods said...

Love the "Big Boy Pants" Aunt Cindy

Bing Math said...

You really should put some real pants on that boy.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails