Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Day 18: Crafty

Creativity is awesome. Once you get your brain in the right direction, anyone can be creative, I think.

Crafty is something else though. Craft stores, for me, are like heaven on earth. Yarn, glues, paper, stamps, stickers, paints....ah, I'm in love with all that stuff. Turning all those supplies into a project however, takes a little more skill and dedication of time than I'm generally willing to donate to many tasks.

But now, I'm in the young women's presidency for church and that means crafting seems to be oozing out my ears. I just completed my phase of the 2010 birthday gift for each of the girls. After many iterations and countless visits to craft stores I ended up with something that I thought was pretty cool.

As a presidency with no budget, we wanted to give the girls some sort of necklace or medallion, to remind them of the church - their strength and beliefs. We decided to use the 2010 mutual theme, "Be strong and of a good courage..." and I volunteered to make the charms.

Like I said, crafting isn't my strong suit but I thought that these little babies turned out pretty neat.

I designed little medallion pictures, covered them with modge podge glue, glued them to beautiful little tiles, applied a resin finish, and glued a claspy thing onto the back. I made 42 of them. In the end, they'll have a ribbon necklace attached and be stuffed into a cute little bag with a cute little tag and given to each young woman on her birthday.

They turned out pretty cool.

I'm a bit proud of myself.

IMGP6080

IMGP6083

IMGP6081

8 comments:

Jen said...

Hi there- I found your link on sugardoodle and love this idea! I would love to try this.- Where did you find the tiles? and would you be willing to share your design? I'm so impressed!

Annie said...

Jen - e-mail me at ann.howden@gmail.com and I can give you information.

Sonrisa said...

I would like to know how to make these too. I'm doing a lesson this Sunday as well and might like to try to make them. Can you email me directions please if you have time?
sonrisahasselbach@gmail.com

Arian said...

Ok, I found your cute blog off of sugardoodle as well. I love those cute charms!! I am wondering how much time/expense it took to make them? I'd probably turn them into magnets for the girls... If you wouldn't mind elaborating on your idea, I'd be most appreciative.
airjordan04@cox.net

Thanks!!
Arian

Rachel said...

Hi, I agree with everyone on here! I would love any other info as well.....expense, time, and any other info you might be able to give. Thanks so much!
PS how do you get to have NO budget :) LUCKY!

Jason and Britney said...

We also LOVED your idea and want more specific directions. Could you share the joy? thenielsons@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

Me too! Me too! Please send me your directions for the tile necklace. SUPER CUTE!! My email is troyfamily92@comcast.net Thanks for sharing!

Brandon And Kimberlee said...

I too would like to make these into magnets - can i get the instructions sent to kimberleeee@hotmail.com please?! Thank you for posting such a cute idea for the girls!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails