Monday, July 14, 2008

Book Review: Pride and Prejudice

In May I was at Barnes and Noble with my sister. We were on a dinner date for my birthday and while browsing the books I was drawn to the "summer reading" table. Having never read a Jane Austen novel in my life, and seeing Pride and Prejudice on the table I decided to give the "classic" a go.

Two months later I finally finished it and I dare say it was one of the most boring books I've ever read in my life. It was long and drawn out. Nothing happened. Ever! Too many characters and most of the time I felt a bit lost.

I finished the book more out of determination than interest. Haven't struggled to read something for a long time and this book was a challenge. I know this period of English history was very proper, but it's hard for me to believe people spoke so. No wonder all they did was dance and play cards.

There were a few parts of the book I did find amusing. Mr. Collins was funny and a nice piece of comic relief and a few comments about relationships that were dead on, like this one:
We can all begin freely - a slight preference is natural enough; but there are very few of us who have heart enough to be really in love without encouragement. In nine cases out of ten, a woman had better show more affection than she feels. Bingley likes your sister undoubtedly, but he may never do more than like her if she does not help him on...

Once I finally finished the book, quite an accomplishment in and of itself, I figured I needed to watch one of the dozens of film recreations of the story. I heard that the BBC mini series was the best adaptation, but I'd already spent 2 months on the book and I wasn't interested in 4 + hours on the movie.

Ross rented the 2005 version for me, it being only 2:35 in length. I watched it Saturday night, by myself. It pretty much sucked, like the book. Bad acting, bad alterations to the original story, and a super stupid ending. Want to see it? Here it is. It wasn't in the book.




I get that a director wants to take certain liberties in the creation of a film, but adding an alternative ending to a "classic"? Pretty lame.

All it did was remind me of this movie ending, which, by the way, I love.

Sixteen Candles - Final Scene - Movie Ending - Funny video clips are a click away

Mr. Darcy was no Jake Ryan.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm, guess we know why you were not an English Major. "Pride and Prejudice" is filled with some fantastic analogies and overflows with delightfully satiric observations. I guess you just didn't know how to read in order to "get it." Too bad for you.

Jodi said...

Oh great...I kind of liked the book and the movie. But I never pick up on anything I read,especially analogies and observations. I just read and hope to understand.

Justin said...

Well I'm not going to get all academic about the book, but let me just say that Kiera Knightly is up there... :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails