Monday, July 14, 2008

No more Anonymous comments

Alrighty then.

I'm tired of people who make anonymous comments, except my dad, because he doesn't have a blogger account and he writes in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS so I know it's him. It's pretty lame, ridiculous, and pathetic for someone to have the guts to post on another's blog, especially if it's snippy and snotty, and do so anonymously - especially about a book. Come one, maybe if something written here were actually controverisal, I'd get it, but a really bad book review? Get over yourself! Because of that, and the all around grumpy day I'm having today, this blog will no longer be accepting the comments of those who are too chicken to claim them!

Sorry Dad!

The end.

And...whomever you are that commented on the P and P review. Shut up! Jane Austen is not the be all end all of literature and people are allowed not to like the novel. You don't need to question my ability to read and comprehend literature. I dare say I am a pretty good "reader" and have quite the diverse catalog of fiction and non-fiction that I have read over the years.

Are you the same person who tried to rip me a new one when I didn't like the DaVinci Code movie?

And guess what...there are some other pretty well known authors who didn't like Austen either. Here's what a few of them had to say.

To quote Ralph Waldo Emerson, from his journal, in 1861:
I am at a loss to understand why people hold Miss Austen's novels at so high a rate, which seem to me vulgar in tone, sterile in artistic invention, imprisoned in their wretched conventions of English Society, without genius, wit, or knowledge of the world. Never was life so pinched and narrow...Suicide is more respectable.

Or, Mark Twain, from Following the Equator, 1897:

Jane Austen's books, too, are absent from this library. Just that one omission alone would make a fairly good library out of a library that hadn't a book in it.

Or, Charlotte Bronte in a letter to George Lewis in 1848:
I had not seen P&P till I had read that sentence of yours, and then I got the book. And what did I find? An accurate daguerreotyped portrait of a commonplace face; a carefully fenced, highly cultivated garden, with neat borders and delicate flowers; but no glance of a bright vivid physiognomy, no open country, no fresh air, no blue hill, no bonny beck. I should hardly like to live with her ladies and gentlemen, in their elegant but confined houses. These observations will probably irritate you, but I shall run the risk.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

i agree. get over yourself people. it's a freaking blog for crying out loud. what about the first amendment people are always whining about.....UG.

you go annie.

and ps i didn't like the da vinci code either. and i'm so NOT a jane austen fan.

Melanie said...

I've thought about not accepting anonymous comments too. It doesn't happen very often, but whey they come through, they're NEVER very nice and I don't publish them anyway. It just makes me feel bad.

Erin @ Two More Seconds said...

Seriously - P&P is one of the most boring books, ever! Add me to the list of literary idiots! :) And go you with the comment moderation and taking a stand vs. anonymous commenters. How lame are they?!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails