Thursday, July 24, 2008

A Pioneer Story on Pioneer Day

(Note to family: If I get parts of this story wrong, leave me a comment so I can get it right)

200 years ago this year, an ancestor of mine, John Roe Moyle was born in England. As a young man, he joined the Mormon church and came to America - then across the plains to "this is the place" Utah! He opted not to settle in the Salt Lake Valley, instead moving to Alpine, Utah where he set up shop - his farm and his family.

When it was time to build the beautiful Salt Lake Temple, John was called upon to do some carvings on the outer face. This meant that he would have to get to Salt Lake from Alpine every week to do the work. So, every Monday morning he rose before dawn and walked 22 miles (I think that was the distance) to the temple site to carve the temple stone. Then, on Friday's, he would walk the 22 miles back to his home in Alpine and do all the chores that needed to be done and spend time with his family.

After several years of this weekly routine, John was innocently milking his family's dairy cow when it reared up and kicked him. The kick was directly to his leg, around his knee joint, and I'm pretty sure he knew instantly what that meant. John Roe Moyle had to have his leg amputated - with out any anesthetic. His family and most who knew him, I'm sure, assumed that his work on the temple was finished - but John showed them differently.

Once his recovery was in progress, John Roe Moyle carved himself a wooden leg because I'm sure he felt helpless as a husband, man, and servant of the Lord being unable to move and be productive. I can only imagine how much pain he was in - but he was a determined God fearing man. He strapped the leg on, practiced until he could walk, and then when the time was right - set off on his journey again. Walking 22 miles twice a week to the Temple to finish his work.

He is well known for doing most of the "Holiness to the Lord" carving on the east facade of the Salt Lake Temple.

My Monkey's, middle name is Moyle - to honor that dedicated trail blazer and I am so excited when I will be able to tell him this story when he's older.

2 comments:

Jodi said...

He was also in the first handcart company to come over. He walked that 22 miles for 22 years and started it in his late 50's. I just watched the movie on other night. I didn't remember Elliots middle name was after him that is great!

Unknown said...

awesome.............what a great legacy he has -

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails