Thursday, July 31, 2008

a little bit of reinvention

Every time I get my haircut it gets shorter. Like - almost boy short. And then, I go nuts and color it blonder - like un-naturally blond-er. Like doesn't match my eyebrows anymore blond-ER. I'm addicted to changing my hair. The question is why? What am I trying to do? A couple things I suppose.

First, there is something about new hair (at least when it's good new hair) that completely changes ones outlook. A haircut for me is all about symmetry. The only time my goofy horse hair is even and symmetrical is right after a hair cut. No fly aways, no flips, no out of control bangs. It's all even-steven and balanced. You people out there have no idea how good that makes me feel - a good haircut brings order to my life. After my wonderfuly stylist blows my hair out every 8 weeks it's like I've got a new beginning.

Second - I guess it gives me hope. Is that corny or what? Hope that there is always a new horizon - always something new and maybe exciting around the corner. A new haircut - even if it's the same general style - is never a repeat. Sort of like snowflakes, right? I know that i'll always get something a little bit different and in the life of this working-from-home-stay-at-home-mom-and-domestic-servant a little bit of a diversion is good. Sometimes, it's all I get and I savor it.

Third - I love to have my hair washed and played with. It's one of the most relaxing things in the world for me. When I was a little girl, I would intentionally sit at the feet of my grandma on Sunday nights with a glimmer of hope that she would start playing with my hair. And when she did, I just curled up closer and was in absolute heaven. I even liked getting checked for lice by the PTA ladies with those giant q-tips in elementary school.

Are you still reading? Enough about my hair, right? Like, why doesn't she have anything else to write abotu? Well, it's been a slow week and, after i colored my hair last night I felt renewed - like life was a little bit more in balance.

And, I made this cool thing I read about on Makayla's blog the other day and I'm addicted. Willie and I have made one for everyone. They're awesome. Visit Wordle right now!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

yet again....hysterical. i just colored my hair last night. i was just coming on here to post how i have regained my confidence with coloring my own hair. i love the way it turned out. now i am just DYING to get a hair cut. dyyyyyyyyyying.

weird. weird how hair can change our lives THAT much. just hair.....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails