Sunday, August 03, 2008

Our county fair is the best county fair...don't miss it, don't even be late!

Yesterday I was inspired. You see, Haley and James stopped by my house as they were preparing some of James' photography to enter into the SL County Fair. Once they left my house I got the submission bug and prepared, very last minute, some images to submit on my own. Lucky for me I just bought a new photo printer - I was off and running.

I submitted in the amateur class and I think that I submitted in categories different than James so I wasn't competing with him.

These are the photos I submitted. What do you think? Do I have a chance?

Submission 1: Botanical category
Title: Quarter Fleur
quarter fleur
The friendly Germanic man who helped me with the paperwork told me that this image would have been better if I left the yellow center of the photo in tact and had that as my focal point instead of the flower's petals. He's probably right, I guess...I didn't tell him that I already knew that and that I intentionally cut it off to focus on the petals.

Submission 2: Animals in the Wild
Title: Moose in Repose
moose in repose
My paperwork helper liked this image and knew exactly where I had taken it, Albion Basin, which was pretty cool.

Submission 3: Still Life
Title: Independence Hall
independence hall
Everyone around me liked this one - they said it was calming. Mr. Germanic told me that in order to take this picture, I'd have to set my camera to it's manual settings - I told him that's exactly what I did. He was impressed and couldn't criticize the image - only my mounting, because one corner was already peeling away.

It's exciting to enter a contest - even more exciting if I were to actually win a ribbon. If you are interested to see the results, the county fair is this week - August 6-9.

Thanks for the inspiration James. And, good luck to you, too.

3 comments:

Erin @ Two More Seconds said...

These are gorgeous. I like the flower one. It would be too predictable to have had the focus be on the yellow center. :)

Michele said...

Is the county fair different than the state fair? Because I thought the state fair was in September? If they are different than you should enter your pictures in both fairs because they are fabulous. Best of luck.

.::still blinking::. said...

I agree with Erin. Off center is better and unpredictable.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails